Here’s another one of my mom’s recipes. She’s made this one for as long as I can remember and my family has always loved it! Mexican Casserole. It’s super easy to make and always a crowd-pleaser. If you ever need a dish for a large crowd, I’d recommend this one- you can double or triple the recipe and even make it ahead of time. My mom makes a big one and freezes the leftovers- it keeps beautifully! Perfect for potlucks, Mexican-themed dinner parties or even Sunday Night Football!

My Mom’s Mexican Casserole

1 pound lean ground beef
1 can Ranch Style beans
1 10-12 ounce bag tortilla chips, crushed
1 can Ro-tel tomatoes
1 small onion, chopped
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 package taco seasoning
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup water
sour cream and salsa for serving

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large skillet, brown meat and drain off fat. Stir in beans, tomatoes, onion, taco seasoning, soup and water. Simmer over medium-low heat until everything is well combined and heated through.

Grease a 9×13 casserole dish. Put down a layer of crushed tortilla chips, followed by a layer of the meat/bean mixture, then half of the cheddar cheese. Repeat layers. Cover with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until bubbly.
Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving. Top with sour cream and salsa. Enjoy!

1. Yum!

sashea Reply:

im fixin ti make me some

alice bennett Reply:

sounds like a good dish I like cooking casserole.

Comment by Layla — September 13, 2010 @ 3:16 PM

2. Looks good Amy! I plan to make it soon!

Comment by Amy — September 13, 2010 @ 4:02 PM

3. This does look perfect for a crowd! Football anyone???

Comment by UrMomCooks — September 13, 2010 @ 6:34 PM

4. All the flavors in this sound excellent. This is a definite winner.

Comment by Eliana — September 13, 2010 @ 9:52 PM

5. I like this idea for delicious dinner!

have a nice time!
    Paula

Comment by Paula — September 14, 2010 @ 12:05 PM

6. Perfect easy, cheesy comfort food! Love it!

Comment by Tracy — September 15, 2010 @ 7:26 PM

7. Mexican + casserole = delicious!!

Comment by Biz — September 15, 2010 @ 10:37 PM

8. This looks delicious! What a great middle-of-the-week menu idea.

Comment by Beth — September 16, 2010 @ 7:00 AM

9. I love how easy this recipe is…it’s perfect for a quick weeknight meal!

Comment by Jen @ How To: Simplify — September 17, 2010 @ 4:40 PM

10. Looks sooooo good, I love easy and cheesy and this fits the bill!! Thanks!!!

Comment by Sharon — September 18, 2010 @ 3:03 PM

11. I made this for dinner tonight, Amy, and it was great! A cinch to put together and it passed the boyfriend test with flying colors! He referred to it as “burrito casserole” and has already requested it for future football Sundays. Thank you (and your Mom) for sharing!

Comment by Jennifer — September 21, 2010 @ 11:20 PM

12. I’m SO glad you all enjoyed it, Jennifer!! And I’m so glad it got the “Boyfriend Stamp of Approval”! Thanks so much for telling me! :)

TrishW Reply:

OMG!! I just read this recipe for the first time! I’ve been making this casserole, but with chicken and green chilis, and cr. of mushroom/chicken soups since 1971!! It’s a favorite. I never even thought to make a ground beef variation all these years! I’m positive that it’s good, though. Thanks for the recipe, Amy! And I’m so glad you promote Ranch Beans. I’m shocked that not many over here in Alabama have even heard of them! A displaced Texan, Trish

Yeah, this recipe has been around for a long time! I need to try your chicken version! Happy new year!

Comment by amy — September 22, 2010 @ 8:23 AM

13. I just made this casserole and I love it! Thanks for the recipe.

I’m so glad you liked it, Ellen! Thank you for telling me!!

Comment by ellen patton — September 26, 2010 @ 5:59 PM

14. This is exactly like the Mexican casserole my mom and dad used to make when I was growing up. Going to the kitchen to make it now!

Comment by Kelli — October 3, 2010 @ 1:35 PM

15. [...] Thursday: mexican casserole [...]

Pingback by Menu Plan Monday 11/15/10 « the cooking nurse — November 15, 2010 @ 2:27 PM

16. [...] Nov One of my favorite blogs, Sing For Your Supper posted this recipe a couple of months ago. She says that the recipe is from her mom, so I was [...]

Pingback by Easy Mexican Casserole « the cooking nurse — November 18, 2010 @ 4:55 PM

17. Another winner from your mom! I really enjoyed her no bake stuffed peppers and this recipe as well!

Comment by michelle — November 18, 2010 @ 4:56 PM

18. I’ll have to tell her you enjoyed her recipes so much- she’ll be so happy! :)

Comment by amy — November 18, 2010 @ 4:58 PM

19. OK. so. I made this today and the fans went WILD!! I was starving when it came out of the oven and had to dig right in. When dinner time rolled around I was anxiously anticipating my tribes reaction. I put together a nice salad and…success!! It is delicious.
    many thanks from-
    Izzy’s biggest fan

Thunja- I’m SO happy you and your family enjoyed this!! And thanks for telling me! :)

Comment by thunja — January 4, 2011 @ 6:11 PM

20. My husband just made this for dinner and it was delicious!!! Super easy to make, super tasty to eat! Thanks Amy!

Comment by Casey — January 16, 2011 @ 9:25 PM

21. Oh and I topped mine off with some shredded lettuce to go with the sour cream and salsa, excellent

I bet lettuce would be great on this! So happy y’all enjoyed it, Casey!!

Comment by Casey — January 16, 2011 @ 9:26 PM

22. This looks yummy! I can’t wait to try this !! marilyn

Comment by marilyn — February 22, 2011 @ 12:02 PM

23. how many will this feed?

At least 6-8

Pooja Reply:

thanks so much can’t wait to try it tonight!

Comment by Pooja — April 16, 2011 @ 7:08 AM

24. Amy, We love this dish but our question is what are Ranch style beans?? Thank your mom for letting you share this fabulous recipe!

They’re found on the bean aisle and I believe they’re just seasoned pinto beans. They’re in a black can. If you can’t find them just use regular pinto beans or black beans.

Comment by Jill — June 23, 2011 @ 7:20 PM

25. LOVED this! It’s a staple in our house now, since it makes enough for leftovers for lunches!

Thanks Jen! So happy you enjoyed it!!

Comment by Jen — August 15, 2011 @ 12:37 PM

26. I love love love this recipe! Just baked it for supper tonight. Simple and tasted great! my kind of cookin!

Comment by Courtney — August 31, 2011 @ 6:21 PM

27. Oh, I’ve GOT to try this one!! It looks wonderful.

Comment by SJerZGirl — November 4, 2011 @ 8:44 AM

28. [...] Easy Mexican Casserole [...]

Pingback by Calendar Journal « This Is My Creativity — December 17, 2011 @ 9:16 PM

29. I made this on Friday night for supper and it was a hit!!! I also found that the leftovers make a pretty good breakfast too!!!

Comment by Melissa — January 9, 2012 @ 8:49 AM

30. Made this lastnight and it was sooo good! Super easy! I actually used ground Venison (deer meat) instead of beef, its alot less fattening as well. Also used just pinto beans because I didnt have the Ranch style kind. My husband and daughter loved it and they arent always the easiset to please..will def. make again!

Comment by jenbix — February 16, 2012 @ 11:59 AM

31. This was delicious! Thanks!

You’re welcome!!

Comment by MK — March 20, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

32. Love this idea, my husband has not been able to eat take out Mexican because of the spices they use, so I learning to cook Mexican dishes at home where I control the spices. Thanks!

Comment by Janet — March 26, 2012 @ 2:12 PM

33. Thanks! Had this for supper tonight–a bit spicy for the kiddos, but will adjust next time. We added avocado for the top and considered lettuce for some light crunchiness. Yum!

Comment by Heather — May 27, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

34. [...] Thursday – Mexican casserole [...]

Pingback by What’s for Dinner? October 1-7 « Kitschy Krista — October 1, 2012 @ 7:29 AM

35. I came across your recipe by chance yesterday while looking for an easy dinner recipe on the net. I went on to make it last night – what a hit! My husband and teenagers asked that I put it into our dinner rotation. Thanks so much!!

Happy to hear it!

Comment by Theresa — October 18, 2012 @ 4:32 PM

36. Do you use the small cans of rotel tomatoes and ranch style beans? Can’t wait to try this!

Comment by Robin — October 20, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

37. Making this for a travel club potluck today, the house smells so good! Can’t wait to try it!

Comment by Traci — March 17, 2013 @ 3:47 PM

38. Please make a print friendly option.

Comment by Jeri — April 9, 2013 @ 11:03 AM

39. hey Amy,
    i made this also, it was bangin’ , good job :)

Comment by Jimm — April 23, 2013 @ 4:09 PM

40. What are Ro-Tel Beans. I live in Canada, and we don’t have those. Any other suggestions?
    Thanks

Ranch style beans. I believe they are kidney beans that have been stewed and seasoned. Ro-tel tomatoes are dices tomatoes with green chiles.

Comment by Mona Gibbons — April 27, 2013 @ 4:25 PM

41. gives a new idea to Hamburger helper

Comment by George Greene — April 27, 2013 @ 11:43 PM

42. This looks nice I’ll have to make it!

Comment by Sandy — April 28, 2013 @ 1:47 AM

43. Amy,

Ranch Style Beans came from Texas where I spent 30 years of my life. And they are NOT Kidney Beans, but PINTOS. Pinto Beans are a LOT different from Kidney Beans, btw.
    Thanks,
    Trish Wall

So glad to know this important information. I’ve been losing sleep over it.

TrishW Reply:

As my grandson would say, Amy. You SO funny! Thanks for your great recipe, btw!

Comment by TastyTrish — May 7, 2013 @ 9:02 AM

44. Made this last night and my husband went crazy over it. He’s hard to please, but this recipe really did the job. Loved the Mexican flavors. Thank you for a great one!!!!

Comment by anne m. — May 7, 2013 @ 11:00 AM

45. Do you drain the rotel and beans? It doesn’t specify in the recipe. Thanks. :)

Yes, go ahead and drain them first.

Comment by Jessie — July 2, 2013 @ 4:39 PM

46. Just wondering… I am on Weight Watchers and cannot find the nutritional facts for this recipe or how many points it is. I just was wondering if anyone might know this? Thanks.

Girl, I’m not gonna lie- this probably isn’t a very WW-friendly recipe. But, you could easily adjust it to make it a little healthier. Sorry, I have no idea what the nutritional info is.

Comment by Kellie — July 18, 2013 @ 7:02 PM

47. Geez….outstanding site and posts listed here.
    These articles here are actually insightful! Any specific Feed on this website?
    ?? I have been on the lookout for consistently current information
    relating to plasma vs lcd tv vs led.

Review my blog post … price of internet tvs

Comment by price of internet tvs — July 20, 2013 @ 7:48 PM

48. How liquid-y should this be when meat and all ingredients combined? Not sure I made this right

It will be pretty soupy when you put it in the oven, but after baking, it’ll firm up.

Delladot Reply:

Everyone said they loved this dish. We did also, the flavors are wonderful together. Just one thing, mine was not soupy when I put it together. And it seemed that the tortilla chips sucked up any juice there was. I only drained the beans, and not the Rotel. Can you recommend anything to add that will make this a little juicier? I will make this again, but I think I will cut way back on the tortilla chips.

Hmm, maybe try less chips next time of you want it a little more moist. That’s all I can think of!

Comment by Linda — October 26, 2013 @ 3:03 PM

49. This really looks good, but my print preview says it will take 13 pages. Too much ink! So many recipes takes that many pages, not just yours….
    JB

Judy Baumann Reply:

June B., if you go in there and highlight just the recipe part, then when you tell it to print, tell it to print selection only, not pages, it will print just that recipe part that you selected.

Hope that helps.

Comment by June B, — November 3, 2013 @ 3:40 PM

50. I have made this many times. I have added sliced black olives and some green chilis just to add more color.

Those sound like great additions!

Comment by Carol — December 7, 2013 @ 4:22 PM

51. I substituted torn chunks of 3 chicken breasts. Made a triple recipe for a group Christmas Eve. Also had basic chili. The group overwhelmingly chose the chicken!

Comment by Lola Fraser — December 28, 2013 @ 1:21 PM

52. In the oven now – I didn’t drain anything and it’s perfect – also used hot & spicy taco seasoning as we like it spicy, added some garlic powder to the hamburger meat and used pico de gallo instead of just plain onion – smells so wonderful! Thanks for sharing

Comment by Ruth — January 17, 2014 @ 7:23 PM

53. I have made a variation of this and it is very good….I serve each serving with the toppings you would put in a taco…

Comment by Kathy — February 21, 2014 @ 11:46 AM

54. I got here through a pin on Pinterest. I don’t know that I have seen this type of casserole before, but it sounds delicious! I have it in the oven right now. I sauteed my onions before I browned the ground beef, and I didn’t have ranch beans, so I used pintos. I also didn’t have a taco seasoning packet, so I threw together some spices (cumin, chili powder, garlic, paprika, salt, flour, and a tiny little bit of sugar to round out the flavor); it tasted pretty good before going in the pan. I didn’t add any water because it seemed wet enough without it. Also, I didn’t use as many chips, because my family likes the crunchiness of the chips – so I have the rest of the bag in a bowl on the table to accompany dinner. Thanks for the recipe. I am sure I’ll be using it again!

That all sounds great! I don’t actually use taco seasoning packets anymore- like you, I make my own. I hope your family enjoys it!

Comment by Kristie — May 19, 2014 @ 3:56 PM

55. I am from Canada. What are Ro-Tel beans and Ranch Style Beans – we don’t have them up here even in the Mexican section of the grocery store. Can you explain what they are and maybe I can find some kind of substitute ???

Thanks,

Sure. Ro-tel tomatoes are just canned tomatoes with chopped green chiles mixed in. You could substitute with a can of plain chopped tomatoes and a small can of chopped green chiles (or even fresh chiles). Ranch style beans are just seasoned pinto beans. You could use any canned beans you like- black, pinto, etc. Maybe just add a little extra seasoning.

Barbara Reply:

Thank you for your help. I have a party to go to Saturday and I think I will make this recipe to take.

Comment by Barbara — June 17, 2014 @ 11:31 AM

56. Going to make this, but vegetarian style. Substitute the hamburger with soy crumbles (frozen food dept), and replace cream of chicken soup with cream of celery or mushroom soup!

Comment by Debbie — July 23, 2014 @ 8:15 PM