Continuing with my Thanksgiving-inspired week, I’ll post every man’s favorite: buttermilk pie.  It really is man pleasin’. Really. Every male that has ever eaten this pie has gone ape for it. I don’t know if it’s the sugary-sweet filling or the creamy, buttery texture, but men seriously adore buttermilk pie. In fact, the primary reason I’m posting this right now is because my friend Michael recently sent me a text saying, “you need to make buttermilk pie!” Done and DONE, Mikey! It’s a holiday staple in our family, too. There has never been a holiday get-together that didn’t include this pie. In fact, every Thanksgiving and Christmas my mom is sure to make extra so that my dad will be able to have plenty of leftovers. This is one of Baba’s most famous and requested recipes and I’m so proud and happy to post it here for you. Make this part of your Thanksgiving dessert table- trust me.

Baba’s Buttermilk Pie
-old family recipe (really, really old!)
*makes 2  9-inch pies

2 9-inch pie crusts, unbaked
3 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 eggs, beaten
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted
1 cup buttermilk
**a little lemon zest and a squeeze of juice is a nice addition, but my dad hates lemon in his buttermilk pies, so we’ve never really done it. I did this time and it really adds a nice, subtle tartness.

Mix sugar, flour and salt. Add eggs, butter, buttermilk and vanilla. Pour into two unbaked pie crusts and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees (check them at 50 minutes- if they’re too jiggly put them back in for a few more minutes. They shouldn’t jiggle very much at all when they’re done). If the tops are getting too brown, cover loosely with foil for the remainder of baking time. Let cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.

Now, to those of you thinking, “what the heck?! Buttermilk?!” Don’t worry- there isn’t even the slightest hint of buttermilk taste. It’s just sweet, thick, and buttery. A delicious Southern tradition. Man, it’s so great to live in the South. ;)

1. This looks delicious! I have never made a buttermilk pie before but I think I am definitely going to try this soon! :)

Comment by Heather — November 12, 2010 @ 10:57 AM

2. I’ve never heard of buttermilk pie but this looks and sounds amazing!

Comment by Angie — November 12, 2010 @ 11:12 AM

3. The first time I ever ate buttermilk pie was at The Nutt House in Granbury. It was so good!! I’ll definitely have to try this one :)

Comment by Amy B. — November 12, 2010 @ 11:31 AM

4. Where has this been all of my life?? I must make this immediately!

Comment by Karly — November 12, 2010 @ 11:46 AM

5. Never heard of this before, but it sounds good! Adding to my list of pies I want to try :)

What is the texture like – it looks like it would be custard-like?

Comment by megan @ whatmegansmaking — November 12, 2010 @ 12:14 PM

6. Megan- it is very similar to a custard, but not quite as thick and “jello-y” (if that makes sense). If you’ve ever heard of a Chess pie, this is in the same family- pretty much the same thing, actually. VERY delicious! ;)

Comment by amy — November 12, 2010 @ 12:19 PM

7. Joining the previous posts and telling you I’ve never heard of this pie either! But, if it’s man-pleasin’ I gotta give it a try! Actually, my husband’s man-pleasing pie is pumpkin pie and I don’t especially like it. Maybe this is the pie we both can love! :)

Comment by Nikki (Pennies on a Platter) — November 12, 2010 @ 2:16 PM

8. I LOOOOOOOOOVE buttermilk pie!!! I reluctantly tried it for the first time a few years ago (the name just really doesn’t do it justice) and it has been a favorite ever since. Thank you for the recipe!

Comment by Jennifer — November 12, 2010 @ 2:41 PM

9. I have ALWAYS wanted to try buttermilk pie. I made a squash buttermilk pie for Thanksgiving last year, which was amazing. Now I need to progress to all buttermilk. Is it super sweet like I’ve heard it is??

Cheers,

*Heather*

Heather- it is very sweet, actually. That’s why a little squeeze of lemon juice is so good here- it cuts the sweetness. Mmmm, SO good!!

Comment by heather — November 12, 2010 @ 7:54 PM

10. I have to make this! Did you use salted or unsalted butter? I’m new to baking…does “butter” in any recipe imply salted or unsalted, if not specified?

Leah- I always use unsalted butter when I bake, unless a recipe specifically states otherwise.

Comment by Leah — November 12, 2010 @ 8:58 PM

11. I’m famous! ;) By far my favorite.

Comment by Michael Crosswhite — November 13, 2010 @ 12:02 AM

12. Got it — thanks!!

Comment by heather — November 13, 2010 @ 7:22 AM

13. As a New Englander, I’d never heard of buttermilk pie until recently when we made it for one of my baking groups. It’s so fun to learn about traditional foods from other parts of the country!

Comment by Tracey — November 13, 2010 @ 7:33 PM

14. Ah, SOuthern food-I miss it up here near Boston! And I think I will be making this soon!!!!!

Comment by Jennifer — November 13, 2010 @ 7:50 PM

15. I just sampled a buttermilk pie at Central Market today. It was delicious and yours looks even more so. Thanks so much for the recipe.

Comment by Paula (Salad in a Jar) — November 13, 2010 @ 8:55 PM

16. I’ve never heard of buttermilk pie, but now I’m dying to try it! Funny how that happens. This looks amazing!

Comment by Natalya (Deliciously Suite) — November 13, 2010 @ 10:20 PM

17. Made this today. It is truly TDF!! I will be adding this to the Thanksgiving menu :)

Comment by Amy B — November 14, 2010 @ 11:36 AM

18. buttermilk pie is so yummy… I look forward to trying your recipe :)

Comment by Stina — November 14, 2010 @ 2:15 PM

19. What a beautiful photo Amy! It looks and sounds delicious! I’ll be over in a few for a giant slice :-P

Comment by Jessica — November 14, 2010 @ 6:52 PM

20. I just made this recipe today (scaled it back to 1 pie) and it’s fantastic! I’m actually eating a piece now. I will definitely be saving this recipe for the future, but since it is such a sweet and rich recipe, I may save it for special occasions (or find a way to decrease the sweetness).
    Thanks again for the wonderful recipe!

Amy and Blair- I’m so happy you enjoyed it! Not a holiday goes by that we don’t have these!

Comment by Blair — November 14, 2010 @ 7:11 PM

21. I’ve got some buttermilk and pie crust in my fridge waiting to be used. This is destiny (and looks delicious too.)

Comment by Eliana — November 15, 2010 @ 11:53 AM

22. I have been “lurking” on your blog for awhile now, and have tried a lot of your recipes, all of which have been big hits in my home. Thank you for your sweet, genuine take on blogging. I absolutely love it. Going to purchase the ingredients to try this recipe this week. Looking forward to it!! New to the South, love trying different cultural foods. :)

Thanks!
    Emily

Emily- I’m so glad you decided to come out of lurking! ;) Thank you for your sweet comment! I truly hope you enjoy this pie- I’ve never served it to anyone who didn’t love it! Let me know how you like it!

Comment by Emily — November 15, 2010 @ 2:04 PM

23. Okay, I have been wanting to try buttermilk pie for awhile now, but wasn’t sure how it would turn out or taste. Your pictures and descriptions have convinced me, though. This is my first time on your blog, and it’s beautiful!

Welcome, Menu Mama! Hope you’ll stick around! :)

Comment by The Menu Mama — November 15, 2010 @ 4:37 PM

24. Amy – true to form, you’ve made me a fan of yet another one of your family recipes. :) I made the Buttermilk Pie last night, with your suggested addition of a splash of lemon juice, and it turned out wonderfully. My husband absolutely loved it, and I’m even sacrificing the second pie to deliver to friends this evening. Thanks!!

Emily
    P.S. I tried Aldi supermarket for the first time last night, and could not find “normal” pie crust. Instead, I picked up some Graham cracker crusts. Being that this was my first Buttermilk Pie experience, I don’t know what it tastes like with different crust, but it was really good with Graham cracker!

Comment by Emily — November 16, 2010 @ 3:13 PM

25. Emily- I’m SO happy you and your husband enjoyed it! I hope your friends enjoy it too!

I’ve never actually tried an Aldi before, but there are several around us- too bad they don’t have regular pie crusts! Weird! I’m sure a graham cracker crust would be great! Definitely try it sometime with a traditional crust, it really is delicious! :)

Comment by amy — November 16, 2010 @ 3:16 PM

26. Hi I was just wondering if you serve it warm or prefer it cold..I dont really eat warm pies well I have never really tried pies warm just wanted your advice on how you would prefer it..Thanks for your time and recipe..

Adrienne- I prefer it at room temperature. I think that’s when it tastes the best!

Comment by adrienne — November 17, 2010 @ 4:23 PM

27. My mom has been making this pie for over 30 years. It is my favorite holiday treat, but hers has a crust of crushed pecans on top. I’m interested to see what its like without it.

Comment by Chance — November 17, 2010 @ 5:19 PM

28. I just made this, it is amazing!
    F****** delicious a** bomb *** *** mang, all day all I do is eat this mutha ****** s*** up and then make another pie cause they’re so ****** easy to make, I mean seriously, make custard put in pie shell, boom delicious pie in a matter of 2 ******* hours.

I’m giving this piece of heave a 5 out of 5

Um….thank you, Brendan. Whatever it is my buttermilk pie just accompanied, let me recommend not operating any heavy machinery for the next couple of hours. :) So glad you enjoyed this.

Heather Reply:

Oh my god, this reply made me laugh so hard! I recall the time you mentioned that a reader asked if whatever it was you posted would still taste good if they shoved it up their a**? I’m guessing that was Brendan. lol.

Lol. I have no idea, but I did have a good chuckle when I first read their comment!

Comment by Brendan w — November 17, 2010 @ 8:02 PM

29. Wow! Sounds intriguing! My boyfriend would normally have just a piece or two of any pie/cake I make, and that’s all… I can’t eat all my cakes alone! Sounds like your buttermilk pie is exactly what I need.

Comment by Alina — November 18, 2010 @ 3:45 PM

30. [...] saw this that I would have to make it and I’d have to do it soon. We’ll be having this Man Pleasin’ Buttermilk Pie from Sing For Your Supper for Thanksgiving. I don’t care if I’m not a man. This pie [...]

Pingback by Giving Thanks | Rational Ovens — November 19, 2010 @ 12:16 AM

31. Hey thats one hell of a recipe…Would love to have more of this sort form you…

Comment by Sharon — November 19, 2010 @ 4:11 AM

32. is this like chess pie?

Alyse- yes! It’s pretty much the same thing. In fact, if we ever add lots of lemon peel and juice, we call it lemon chess pie.

Comment by alyse — November 19, 2010 @ 10:30 PM

33. [...] you make one large pie the way I did, increase the baking time by about 20-30 minutes. Adapted from here 2 recipes basic pie dough (I used the spelt/white variation) 3 3/4 cups natural cane sugar [...]

Pingback by For all you southerners out there… | The Simple Spatula — November 20, 2010 @ 4:30 PM

34. Callie is fixing 2 of these pies tonight. She is taking them to the Christmas luncheon at Children’s Medical Center tomorrow.

Comment by glenda — November 21, 2010 @ 7:53 PM

35. Wait–there is so a hint of the buttermilk in this pie–sweet, tangy, and rich! Buttermilk is a mysterioulsy underappreciated flavour in desserts because people think you’re just trying to make the dish “light”, and that always sounds unappetizing (“light” always equals “faux food”). Nothing could be further from the truth, it makes a wonderful and unique flavour that nothing else can replicate.

Comment by aurumgirl — November 28, 2010 @ 6:40 AM

36. This sounds fantastic. Definitely logging it away for Christmas!

Comment by jessie — November 29, 2010 @ 12:36 PM

37. Hello – I found you recipe on Tastespotting and, being from Montreal, had never heard of a buttermilk pie before. I thus proceeded to make the thing asap and it is one of the easiest and most delicious pie I’ve ever tasted. This recipe actually gave me 3 pies! I’ll definitely be serving that next time I have friends for dinner, thanks!

Zapple- I’m so thrilled to hear you enjoyed the buttermilk pie!! It’s definitely a family favorite around here! Thanks for letting me know! Happy holidays!

Comment by Zapple — December 1, 2010 @ 8:25 PM

38. Hmm, I think i might have to try this. Sounds like something my man would like, but I’ll definitely add a little lemon juice – he doesn’t like anything too sweet, and does love lemon (he’s crazy about my lemon meringue pie).

Comment by Kiki — December 2, 2010 @ 7:11 AM

39. I LOVE this pie! I found this right before thanksgiving, and made it for my family. everyone loved it so much that i’m also making it for christmas! thanks for posting :]

Ashley- I’m so happy you and your family enjoyed this!! Thanks so much for letting me know! Merry Christmas!!

Comment by ashley — December 22, 2010 @ 2:21 PM

40. This pie is SO good!! I’ve made it twice now. Thanks Baba! Your recipe is a part of my family now too. :)

How sweet, Jessica! This just totally made my day- thank you!

Comment by Jessica — January 4, 2011 @ 9:53 PM

41. I just came across this recipe while searching tastespotting for buttermilk. It looks delicious! I think I’ll try it with some cocoa powder to approximate a chocolate chess pie. I’ve been trying to imitate Ukrop’s chocolate fudge pie for awhile now!

Comment by Jenn C — January 16, 2011 @ 8:04 PM

42. I just came across your blog on Sunday. Since then I made your Salsa Verde Enchiladas which were easy and delicious, and I have been dying to make this buttermilk pie. The opportunity arose today. After a terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day, I needed to eat away my sorrows. This pie was fantastic! The ingredients were so simple. I had everything except for the large amount of sugar. I forgot to add the lemon but will do so next time. This pie is on my “make again” list! I highly recommend this. I can’t wait to bring this yummy treat to work to brighten everyone’s day!

Krystyna- I am so happy you enjoyed the buttermilk pie! If one of my recipes cheered you up after a bad day, I’m extremely satisfied!! Thank you for letting me know!

Comment by Krystyna — January 19, 2011 @ 8:21 PM

43. [...] saw this that I would have to make it and I’d have to do it soon. We’ll be having this Man Pleasin’ Buttermilk Pie from Sing For Your Supper for Thanksgiving. I don’t care if I’m not a man. This pie [...]

Pingback by Giving Thanks — Buns In My Oven — February 10, 2011 @ 8:50 PM

44. Beautiful!

Comment by sarah — March 14, 2011 @ 12:54 PM

45. I think I should learn to keep pie crust in the freezer for occasions just like this…being reminded of a wonderful recipe IS an occasion isn’t it?!

Comment by LaJuana — March 14, 2011 @ 6:16 PM

46. This looks delicious, and your pictures are beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Comment by Sara — March 23, 2011 @ 5:25 AM

47. I finally made these this morning and I have to agree, it’s a MAN PLEASING recipe! I had two men deliver a new propane tank to me this afternoon and before the service manager left their office this morning he asked the office manager to ask me if I had anything baked today! He knows me way too well! I told her no but I would make pies before they got here. I put the pies together in no time adding lemon zest and lemon juice to the mix. They delivered the new tank after lunch and once they had it in place and the old one back on the truck I served them slices of the pie. One of the guys said any time I needed someone to taste test recipes to please call him. They both raved over it. Later this afternoon another guy came to fill the new tank with propane so while he was printing the ticket I carried him a slice. He said Benny had told he might leave him a slice but he’d told Benny no one was going to bake a pie for them! Too funny. He too loved it! The rest of the pie will go to the home office with me tomorrow…it’s all women there except for my boss, and he’s a chocoholic, but I have an idea they’ll love it too!

I’ve just got to figure out a way to transport it without leaving my stone pie plates there! I’ve had the Pampered Chef pie plates (unglazed) for about 15 years and they make the most amazing pie crust…even the Pillsbury ones are so flaky they seem homemade! Maybe I’ll just carry it in the pie plates and once there tell them they have to eat it before I get back…then I have to go install a computer at one of our stores there in town and I’ll do that and then come back for my plates :)

It’s been a Sing For Your Supper week here…first the black beans and avocado quesadillas, then the chicken and pineapple quesadilla and now the pie! Next up, those lemon cookies! But first I need to do Dorie’s Scallops in Orange sauce for tomorrows posting…of course I could always do it tomorrow!

Thanks Amy! I so enjoy your recipes and your writings! You are a natural when it comes to both!

Wow, LaJuana! What a glowing review!!! I’m SO happy all those fellas enjoyed the pie! I’m telling you, I’ve never met a man who didn’t go nuts over it! :)
    Thank you for your sweet comment- it truly made my day! It’s readers like you that make blogging so worthwhile!

LaJuana Reply:

Just wanted to report that the pie was a huge hit at the office today too so it’s no only a Man Pleasing pie but it’s a Woman Pleasing pie too! Thanks again!

Comment by LaJuana — March 24, 2011 @ 4:28 PM

48. Love, Love, Love this recipe. This was always a favorite from my youth. But I never made it before. This recipe transported me back in time. Thanks!

So happy to hear it! Thank you for letting me know! :)

Comment by Angela D. — April 15, 2011 @ 9:14 PM

49. [...] Buttermilk Pie recipe from Sing for Your Supper [...]

Pingback by Buttermilk Pie — Buns In My Oven — June 13, 2011 @ 6:05 AM

50. [...] Sing for your Supper recipe. Delish! Advertisement GA_googleAddAttr("AdOpt", "0"); GA_googleAddAttr("Origin", "other"); [...]

Pingback by Hurricane Pie « foodgirl's gastronomic adventures — August 27, 2011 @ 5:42 PM

51. ever tried to make this with yogurt instead of buttermilk? just curious. i’m gonna try it bc i’m too lazy to go to the store to buy buttermilk. i will follow up with results

Comment by devon — October 1, 2011 @ 7:11 AM

52. I made this wonderful Buttermilk Pie yesterday….and in my opinion…it’s the BEST Buttermilk Pie EVER!!!

Yay!!! Thank you! :)

Comment by Susie — November 9, 2011 @ 4:44 PM

53. My father in law recently moved out of state and is visiting for the holiday, buttermilk pie is his absolute favorite. I made your recipe for him once before and he just about died! It was the first time he had this pie in years. He has been begging me ever since to make more of this delicious pie.

Little does he know that I have two buttermilk pies in the oven right now just for him! :)

Thank you for sharing a great recipe!

Comment by Jess @ Sugar High — November 24, 2011 @ 10:27 AM

54. Amazing! Found the recipe on foodgawker. It was wonderful. Everyone loved them and asked for the recipe. Thank you for sharing.

So happy to hear it!! Thank you!

Comment by Cheryl — December 28, 2011 @ 11:21 AM

55. Hi!

I also loved this recipe!! However, mine was SUPER runny. I baked for the full hour and had to keep foil on it for the last 20ish minutes because it was browning… My husband suggested eating it with a straw ;). Any suggestions on how to keep this from happening?

Thanks

Hmm, that’s odd. Did you use real butter? (margarine or butter “spread will NOT work). If it seems too jiggly when you check it, just keep baking it until it seems more solid. Also, it needs to cool completely before serving. Sorry that happened to you! Hope it turns out better next time!

Tony Reply:

Mine is still cooling off. Left in the oven for 80 minutes.

Mine looks super runny also. The liquid is just pooled in the center and it’s clear. It looks like melted sugar or something. Can you confirm that the recipe calls for 3 & 3/4 cups of sugar?

I don’t think I used unsalted butter.

Thanks

That is correct. It seems like a lot, but that is what’s called for. I’m not sure what is causing the pooling, but it sounds like it separated for some reason. Did you stir it really well (whisking is my method of choice.)?

T Reply:

It might depend on the climate you live in…I have made this recipe twice now and it’s delicious. But, I have to cook it for at least an hour and a 1/2 and I lay foil over the top of it. It should eventually firm up.

Comment by Steph — January 25, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

56. I’ve been making buttermilk pie for my southern husband for the last 19 years. I didn’t grow up on it in the north, but I’ve learned to love it! A few years ago I tried sprinkling chopped pecans on the bottom of the crust prior to adding the filling. It’s the only way I make it now. They bake up to the top and add just a great flavor and texture to the pie. I don’t use lemon.

Comment by Kathy — April 1, 2012 @ 5:39 PM

57. I knew I had to try this recipe the moment I saw it was from your Baba. We called my great grandmother Baba and some days my nieces and nephews call my mom by it. It brings back wonderful memories of my Baba and my grandmother. I inherited my love of baking from them. I have the pie baking in the oven as I write this and I can’t wait to try it later. Thank you so much for sharing a family recipe.

Comment by Debbie — April 14, 2012 @ 6:09 PM

58. This is identical to my mom’s Buttermilk Pie recipe, except we use vanilla butter nut flavoring instead of vanilla extract. These freeze really well, so you can use the recipe and serve one now, and have one on standby for the next occasion you need something sweet! For anyone on the fence, don’t let the buttermilk name scare you off, it does NOT taste like buttermilk!

Comment by Leslie at Habitual Rearranger — August 6, 2012 @ 9:38 AM