Yep. I’ve done it again. Severe cookie fail. For your information, it is QUITE hard to use a cookie press if you don’t know what you’re doing it’s your first time. I learned this the hard way. My spatula broke. These cookies BROKE my spatula. My grilled cheese spatula.

However, I fully intend to get the hang of this cookie press business….eventually.

1. Oh thank you, thank you for posting these. It makes me feel so much better about my recent baking blunders. ;) I’ve discovered, I’m a much better cook than baker.

Have a great weekend!
    Emily

Comment by Emily — December 16, 2010 @ 5:17 PM

2. Everyone has baking or cooking blunders, Emily! Even the pros (I’m guessing!)! Just keep doing what you’re doing and most importantly, HAVE FUN in your kitchen! Your baking will improve…I promise! :) Merry Christmas!

Comment by amy — December 16, 2010 @ 5:21 PM

3. I almost think your broken grilled cheese spatula is the worse part of this cookie fail!! I refuse to use the cookie press. :)

Comment by Holly. — December 16, 2010 @ 7:10 PM

4. Your blog is supercute. If it makes you feel any better, I’ve done much worse when I made my red velvet cupcakes. I’ve haven’t tried again

Comment by Gabby — December 16, 2010 @ 9:33 PM

5. I’ve never been able to get the hang of those cookie presses either! My mom makes perfect ones every time with her vintage Mirro cookie press though- it’s the one with the handle that screws to squeeze out the cookie dough. Sigh.

Comment by Betty @ scrambled hen fruit — December 16, 2010 @ 9:45 PM

6. This is just one of the things I love about your blog–you let us in on your journey. :)

I have been baking over forty years, and I throw out cupcakes and cookies and candy on a pretty regular basis. I guess it’s good they don’t all turn out or we’d never learn anything. ;)

Comment by Linda — December 17, 2010 @ 6:45 AM

7. Hmmm…this could be a sad testimony to the fact that I never owned ( therefore, never used or taught YOU to use) a cookie press while you were growing up. This post does not inspire me to start using one now!! Shame, shame on Martha Stewart and her minions for making it look so easy. If I know you, you’ll try, try again…

Comment by Mother — December 17, 2010 @ 10:51 AM

8. Mom of blogger, I wouldn’t worry. I’m sure you are a fabulous mom since your daughter is so fabulous! = )

Did you use cooking spray? Looks like you used the cookie press just fine but that the cookies stuck to the cookie sheet. I’ve heard that slipmats (sp?) are good to use too. I wouldn’t look at this so much as a failure, but more of an excuse to buy yourself a new fancy spatula. = )

Comment by Laura — December 17, 2010 @ 11:56 AM

9. Haha, thanks Laura! I actually didn’t use any spray or lining of any kind since the recipe firmly stated not to (apparently it’s important that the dough sticks to the cookie sheet while you’re doing the pressing), but since they stuck so bad, I’m wishing I had! It was a no-win situation on my part! ;)

Comment by amy — December 17, 2010 @ 12:20 PM

10. Oh no! It happens to us all of though – love your picture :)

Comment by Tracey — December 19, 2010 @ 10:29 PM

11. Thank you SO much for posting this. My holiday baking started out with one flop after the next. I was feeling totally defeated and then I went to some oldie but goodies and I got my kitchen holiday baking mojo back. Happy holidays.

Comment by Allison — December 23, 2010 @ 12:18 PM

12. I used to cry like you until I bought the Airbake Cookie STEEL Sheets (not the nonstick teflon version, they may work as well but I prefer the natural steel ones), you can get them at Target, Amazon. We just used them last night, you can buy one that is the size of your oven rack and can produce about 3 dozen on one, just buy one you will love it and stop feeling guilty about not knowing what u r doing, it is not you it is just the bad pan! I even bought their muffin pans, bread pans, my daughters think I am a master at baking, but seriously it is the Airbake! Read the reviews on Target on the other style. http://www.target.com/AirBake-Natural-2-pc-Cookie-Combo/dp/B001OR9PNQ/ref=sc_pd_gwb_4_title

Comment by Cat — December 24, 2010 @ 10:05 PM

13. u can also get at kohl’s sears bb&beyond, check out t-fal website for info

Comment by Cat — December 24, 2010 @ 10:36 PM

14. I’m coming out of lurking to comment…
    I sure enjoy your blog. From the recipes to photos…thank you for sharing!
    I love Cookie Press cookies. But I’ve been super frustrated until I got the hang of it. One of my recipes is better than the other and also it helps if the dough is a little warm! Funny, right? But it comes out of the press easier. Also, I always, always use my silpats on airbake cookies sheets. Hope this helps.
    I’m happy to share my recipe, if you’d like.

Comment by Chelsey Ercanbrack — January 11, 2011 @ 9:03 PM