Have I mentioned how much I love quesadillas? All you need is tortillas and cheese and you’ve got the foundation for a great weeknight dinner! This time around, I chose black beans and avocado. Black beans are so good for you and full of flavor (we love them!) and the avocado added a nice creaminess. Add in a little grated monterrey jack cheese and cilantro and you’ve got a delicious dinner! I whipped up a quick dipping sauce with ranch dressing and homemade salsa that really gave the quesadillas a nice kick. We loved this meal and I’m certain I’ll be making it again and again.

Black Bean and Avocado Quesadillas

4 large flour tortillas
1 cup grated monterrey jack cheese
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 avocado, sliced

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two of the tortillas with the cheese, black beans, avocado and cilantro. Place the two remaining tortillas on top and bake for 5-7 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Slice into quarters.

If desired, mix 1/2 cup ranch salad dressing and 1/4 cup salsa for dipping. Serves 2.

Recipe source: Sing For Your Supper original

1. Omg… I think you just squeezed all of my favorite ingredients into one giant pocket of joy. I absolutely love black beans and avocado! Usually, I toss both with salsa. But this lets them be the star of the show!!!

I absolutely must try as soon as possible!!!

Kimby Reply:

“One giant pocket of joy.” Love that! :)

Comment by Kim — March 18, 2011 @ 7:05 AM

2. This sounds super yummy! Black beans and avocado are some of the best things about Mexican food. Oh, and the CHEESE!

Comment by Dana — March 18, 2011 @ 8:51 AM

3. Does “Sing For Your Supper” apply to drop-in guests…? :)

Comment by Kimby — March 19, 2011 @ 10:03 AM

4. It was super yummy! Had it for supper tonight! I didn’t have Monterrey Jack so I used sharp cheddar. Needed a pinch of salt, but maybe that’s just me. I always have salt on avocados. I love any excuse to eat both avocados and black beans…they are both so good for you…thanks for the idea of putting them in the quesadilla together. Such a simple supper to put together after painting shutters until it got too dark on me. This is a keeper! Thanks Amy! Next lemon cookies… and maybe a buttermilk pie! I finally picked up some pie crust! :)

Yay! I’m so happy you enjoyed them, LaJuana! You are so sweet to tell me! I sincerely hope you enjoy the buttermilk pies as much as my family does! Have a great weekend!

Comment by LaJuana — March 19, 2011 @ 7:57 PM

5. Oh, yummy! I love quesadillas as well, and make them often! I have GOT to try your ranch & salsa mix next time – what a great idea!

Comment by delishliving — March 20, 2011 @ 10:12 PM

6. These quesadillas were so quick, easy and delicious! It’s good to have recipes like this on hand for busy weeknights :) I shared this recipe on my blog in my most recent meal plan, thank you!

Comment by Emily : RainbowDelicious.com — November 28, 2012 @ 2:54 PM