This month marks the 3 year blogiversary for Sing For Your Supper. Pretty exciting, if I do say so! 3 years of good food, lots of growing and learning and lots of truly wonderful readers. It’s amazing to look back and see how far I’ve come since April 2008- my pictures don’t entirely suck anymore, I’ve learned a thing or two about food styling/plating, and I’ve made SO many amazing friends. That’s something to celebrate. I was planning on making a big, gaudy, overdone cake with gobs and gobs of buttercream frosting. Sounds great, right? Unfortunately for me, it actually doesn’t.

See, there’s actually something about me that I’ve never shared with you because I like to keep my blog perky and sunshine-y. But there’s a part of my life that definitely is NOT sunshine-y. For over 5 years now, I’ve dealt with something that has controlled my life. I get sick all the time. I won’t go into detail because this is after all, a food blog; but let’s just say it encompasses all degrees of being sick- both trashcan and toilet. Sometimes I black out. Most times I throw up. But every single time I’m completely miserable for at least a day or two; sometimes a week. And poor Joel has had to put up with me. I feel like every other week he was nursing me on top of taking care of everything else while I was sick in bed. It sucks. This has been my life for 5 years. You may (or may not) have noticed that I haven’t been posting quite as frequently as I normally like to. To be honest, I haven’t cooked. I haven’t baked. I haven’t taken much pleasure in food lately because it always ends up making me sick. I hate to be sick. And no, I don’t have a disease or terminal illness (thank the good Lord), that’s not the problem. The problem is food. Food is the enemy. Or, I guess I should say food was the enemy.

We’ve pretty much figured out that I’m lactose-intolerant. If you know me at all you know how dear cheese is to me (I get cheese in my Christmas stocking, for heaven’s sake!). Cheese, milk, sour cream, butter…all of it. I ADORE dairy. But it definitely does not adore me. In fact, most times, it makes me feel like I’m going to die! Ugh! The pain, nausea and sheer discomfort is too much to bear. So I’ve cut it out. No more cheese. I was sulking and drowning in my sorrows for awhile. I mean, how UNFAIR is it for someone who loves cheese as much as I do to have a dairy intolerance?! But I sat down and really thought about what that would mean for my life- no more headaches, no more unexplained sickness in the middle of the night, no more scrutinizing over every piece of food I eat, no more worrying. As the bigger picture came into focus, a huge, heavy weight was lifted off my shoulders. That’s a pretty good feeling. So I “put on my big girl pants” and dealt with it.

The verdict? I. Feel. Amazing. I have a life again. I know it sounds a wee bit dramatic (and I’ll admit that I’m guilty of an occasional over-dramatization now and then), but I’m being 100% real and drama-free with you- my life has changed forever and I’m thrilled. Sure, I miss my beloved cheese like there’s no tomorrow and a little piece of me dies (ok, now I’m being dramatic) when I walk past the Blue Bell section of the grocery store, but I’ll be danged if it ain’t worth it! ;)

So, there you have it. That’s the real truth about what’s been going on around here. And as for that big, gaudy, overdone cake…I’ll get around to it, I promise! Nothing is going to change here at Sing For Your Supper, so don’t worry. Although I’m definitely going to be testing and trying some new dairy-free recipes to share with my lactose-intolerant readers (I know you’re out there!)- which is actually something I’m really, really looking forward to. Thanks so much for celebrating this 3 year blogiversary with me. I know I didn’t post a happy-go-lucky recipe with beautiful photos and a couple of care-free paragraphs, but to me, this blogiversary has meant so much more! I love sharing my real life with you and am so fortunate to have readers who are so supportive and encouraging! Here’s to 3 more (dairy-free!) fantastic years! Cheers!

1. Happy Blogiversary Amy! Congrats on 3 wonderful years :) Sorry to hear you haven’t been feeling well; I’m glad you’ve figured out what was bothering you, and I hope it’s smooth sailing from here on out!

Comment by Tracey — April 29, 2011 @ 5:42 AM

2. Happy Blogiversary!!! 3 years and going strong! Yahoo!

I’m glad you were able to figure out the lactose-intolerance! It really can be debilitating and so many people can go unaware. But you’re right, even though cheese is absolutely one of the most amazing foods, it isn’t worth it to feel so sick. There are much better tasting things out there! Like meatloaf! Random, but I’ve been craving meatloaf lately…

Here’s to another 3 years! If we had glasses,we’d clink!

*clink*!! :)

Comment by Kim — April 29, 2011 @ 6:58 AM

3. My boyfriend is in the same boat as you so I’ve learned to cope with avoiding dairy in my cooking. It’s not too tough :) One suggestion though, have you tried Lactaid? You can get it in pill form and it basically gives you the enzymes you lack to process dairy. It is a bit expensive, but could be a solution when the lure of a grilled cheese sandwich is too much to resist ;)

Hi Stephanie! I have just discovered Lactaid, but only use it in very rare occasions (like Easter Sunday when I just couldn’t resist whipped cream on top of my strawberry pie!) ;)

Comment by Stephanie Baldwin — April 29, 2011 @ 7:27 AM

4. My boyfriend’s sister was diagnosed with a dairy allergy last year and we have all had to get used to baking and cooking for family gatherings without dairy. I have found that coconut milk, Smart Balance “butter”, Daiya cheese, and the non-dairy sour cream and cream cheese are awesome alternatives and provide similar results to regular dairy products. Good luck and I’m glad you’re feeling better! :)

Thanks for these recommendations! I will certainly give them a try- I’ve been wondering about non-dairy sour cream and cream cheese, so I’m really glad to have someone’s opinion on them! Thanks!

MrsD05 Reply:

Lactaid makes cream cheese. I’ve never tried it though.

Comment by Mary Beth — April 29, 2011 @ 8:18 AM

5. First, Happy Blogiversary!! I think it is amazing that you’ve hit the 3 year mark!

Second, it really sucks that you can’t have dairy anymore, but it is amazing how you are handling it!! I am one of those ‘think positive’ and ‘look on the bright side’ types, but I know how hard it can be to keep that persona up – and I think you are doing amazing!! Thanks for sharing this with us!

Thanks so much, Jaida. I really appreciate your encouragement!

Comment by Jaida — April 29, 2011 @ 8:45 AM

6. Happy 3 years, Amy! I love reading your blog and your pictures are gorgeous. I’m happy you’re feeling so much better and sorry about the no-cheese. I’m sure you’ll come up with some fantastic dairy-free recipes. Looking forward to it!

Comment by Leah — April 29, 2011 @ 9:13 AM

7. Congratulations on your blogiversary!!! Here’s to many more years to come :D

I’ve been lactose intolerant all my life. I totally understand the misery!! I am SO thankful for Lactaid because there are times I really want a cheesy pizza or some quiche. Glad you’re feeling better!!

Comment by Amy B — April 29, 2011 @ 9:14 AM

8. I remember seeing you tweet that your doctor had suggested going without dairy. I was wondering recently what the outcome was. Glad to see you’re feeling better and Happy Blogiversary!

Comment by Donna@WayMoreHomemade — April 29, 2011 @ 9:18 AM

9. Happy Bloggiversary. I am glad you were able to figure out what was making you sick and have a hopeful outlook that life will be better for you without dairy.

Comment by Cassie — April 29, 2011 @ 9:20 AM

10. Wow, happy blogiversary! How hard to find out that you are lactose-intolerant. Hang in there. I know how hard it is really!

Thank you, Noelle! I know you do! I’ll probably be bugging you with lots of dairy-free questions in the future! In fact, when I first started struggling with this, you were the first person that came to mind and I thought, “I bet Noelle will have some great pointers!”! :)

Comment by Noelle — April 29, 2011 @ 9:24 AM

11. Happy 3 Years, A!! That was such a happy day when we met… has it really been that long?!? :)

And I feel for you on the dairy. Momma G has the same problem and I fear that I may have inherited it from her. :(

Oh, Jess! It WAS a happy day! Can you believe we’ve known each other for 3 years?! :)

I’m so sorry to hear that…I sincerely hope you haven’t inherited it! But if you have, we can certainly help each other out!

Comment by Jessica of My Baking Heart — April 29, 2011 @ 9:31 AM

12. Happy 3 Year Blogiversary! The fact that you were blogging and cooking throughout your sickness was still amazing. You still inspire people to cook, and love you. You are absolutely wonderful and I love reading your blog, and I can’t wait to read about lactose-tolerant recipes. I have that slight problem – but still refuse to accept it, too. It’s more common than you think, so you aren’t alone. ;-)

Thank you so much, Krystal! You are so, so sweet!

Comment by Krystal of Mrs. Regueiro's Plate — April 29, 2011 @ 9:37 AM

13. Happy Blogiversary! As a mom of a child with lactose intolerance, I can’t wait to see what you come up with! You aren’t alone! I know when he was first diagnosed I was in Whole Foods for hours with their staff looking at things he could have and not have– they were so helpful!

Thank you, Cara! I will definitely do that- I love Whole Foods!

Comment by Cara @ The Boys Made Me Do It — April 29, 2011 @ 9:43 AM

14. Sorry to hear you have been so sick. Thank you for sharing your story!

Comment by Cathy — April 29, 2011 @ 10:15 AM

15. Congratulations on three wonderful years! Even better than three years of blogging is figuring out why you’ve been so sick and how you can make it better. I’m glad you’ve found an answer and can’t wait to see your creativity blossom as you work with this new challenge.

Comment by Kelsey — April 29, 2011 @ 10:41 AM

16. Happy blogiversary! Three years is a major accomplishment and I’m glad you were able to get answers about why you were so sick. I’m looking forward to the upcoming year and delicious recipes!

Comment by Melissa Bakes — April 29, 2011 @ 10:45 AM

17. Congratulations on 3 years and counting. Lactaid pills work for me, plus for some reason I can tolerate yogurt:)

Comment by June g. — April 29, 2011 @ 11:32 AM

18. Happy blogiversary! Three years! You should definitely celebrate, even without a cake.

I’m sorry you’ve been feeling so sick, but I’m glad you’ve finally found out why & are feeling so much better now. A giant cake with buttercream is definitely not worth the pain you’ve been going through. I can relate to how frustrating it is though, trying to blog about food when food makes you sick. I have similar reactions when I eat anything with sugar. Thank you for sharing this with us. Your positive outlook is definitely inspiring. :)

Thank you so much! I’m so sorry you’re having the same problem with sugar! That’s definitely NO fun! I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Comment by Kerry — April 29, 2011 @ 1:58 PM

19. Happy Blogiversary! Maybe since you can’t indulge in food, you should just indulge in shopping. Or musicals. Or whatever else makes you happy!

Oh, the irony. A food-blogger who gets sick from food. So sorry about the revelation, but happy you’re feeling better. Your determination is inspiring!

How about shopping AND musicals?! ;) We’re actually going to see Spamalot in June and I’m definitely looking forward to it!
    Thank you so much, Alisha! I’m so lucky to have such sweet, encouraging readers!

Comment by Alisha — April 29, 2011 @ 2:06 PM

20. Happy Blogiversary!! Sorry you haven’t been feeling well for so long, but very glad to hear that you now feel better! Looking forward to many more exciting posts! :)

Comment by Lindsey at Burn Me Not — April 29, 2011 @ 2:43 PM

21. Happy Blogiversary! I’m sorry to hear about the lactose-allergy I know it seems horrible but it works out sometimes. I have the same allergy running through my family and while I get the lighter version of my dads allergies I have a lot of problems with dairy too. I don’t think I have had a glass of milk in 14 years. I don’t miss it but once in awhile I want to walk into my kitchen or Starbucks and have hot chocolate without feeling sick for 12 hours afterwards. But it gives you a chance to experiment right? Look on the positive side and think of all the wonderful alternatives that most people wouldn’t even think to try. Like a meat lover who has never known the full possibilities of a sweet potato.

Comment by Nicole — April 29, 2011 @ 2:45 PM

22. Congratulations on the 3 year blogiversary!! I’m glad you now know what has been making you sick. There is nothing worse than being sick and not knowing why. I’m looking forward to many years to come of great conversation and fantastic recipes!

Comment by Sheila — April 29, 2011 @ 3:09 PM

23. Congrats on 3 years! I am so sorry you had to go through all those years of sickness. I can only imagine how not fun that was. And for a girl who adores cheese that’s too bad you can’t have it now but for sure worth your health. Thanks for all the great recipes!

Comment by Becky @lovetobeinthekitchen — April 29, 2011 @ 4:11 PM

24. I’m glad you figured out what was going on. I know lots of people are lactose intolerant. I’d be sad about it too, but now you know, right?

There are so many people who eat a dairy-free diet that your readers will be thrilled to see your dairy-free recipes!

Happy blogiversary!

Comment by Meagan — April 29, 2011 @ 5:00 PM

25. I use Lactaid (the purple one) anytime a recipe calls for milk and I haven’t had a failure recipe yet. Plus the enzyme pills work wonders for me when I want to splurge and have cheese. I get mine (the generic) Costco so they aren’t too expensive, but I have to take 2-3 a time. Even so, it is TOTALLY worth it. Ice cream or cream sauces are usually out of the question for me. Its no fun, but feeling like crap isn’t either. I’m used to it now and I’m sure you will figure things out too.

Comment by Allison C — April 29, 2011 @ 6:23 PM

26. I’m SO glad that you figured out what was making you so sick! Bless your heart! That’s horrible! Here’s to better days in the future!
    Happy Blogiversary! I just celebrated my first year and I’m betting that I make it three years too! It’s one of my favorite things to do!
    Keep those amazing recipes coming!
    XO!
    Kelley

You’ll definitely make it to 3 years! Here’s to many more years for us both! Thanks so much for your encouragement- I really appreciate it!

Comment by The Hidden List — April 29, 2011 @ 8:30 PM

27. Thank you for sharing – it takes courage, and I never would have guessed you had something so devastating to deal with. The tone of your blog is always joyful, and even in your bad news you manage to convey your sunny attitude. I’m glad you found a diagnosis that will help you feel good again.

I know that Breyers makes lactose-free ice cream, but since Blue Bell is your favorite (and mine!), I think we should petition BB to make a lactose-free product. I would join you in a campaign for it. :)

Thank you so much, Linda. You’re so sweet! And yes, I should definitely ask BB about a lactose free ice cream! Great idea!! :)

Comment by Linda — April 30, 2011 @ 5:40 PM

28. Amy,
    As an East Texan I have enjoyed your blog for not only the amazing cilantro filled recipes ;) but also the lovely backdrop of Texas life. Happy 3 year Blogiversary and many more to come!!!
    Salute

Ps As someone who has been lactose intolerant since age 7 I understand your pain! Lactaid pills help & vanilla soy milk rocks! Also, in the last 3 years or so i’ve found if you have dairy in small amounts (in cereal but drain the milk w/spoon, or half a cheese stick) you will build up more tolerance to it. Until age 19 I was sick for about 12 hours if I ate a bowl of ice cream but now I can have a small slice of cheesecake no problem :) good luck!

Comment by Rachel — April 30, 2011 @ 9:50 PM

29. I’m glad you finally figured out what’s been making you sick. My son is allergic to dairy protein and my husband and I have high cholesterol, so we’re a dairy-free family. It was hard on me the first few weeks, but you find substitutes you can live with. By cutting out dairy, I was able to get my cholesterol down to a healthy level and go off daily cholesterol meds.

I’ve had really good luck with substituting either Earth Balance margerine or coconut oil in baking. I use soy milk in place of regular milk and you usually can’t tell the difference.

For cakes and frosting, get Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. It’s a truly fantastic cookbook with amazing recipes. She gives lots of vegan baking tips. One of her recommendations is to use non-hydrogenated shortening instead of Crisco. I had no idea there was such a thing as non-hydrogenated shortening, and I’m so glad I discovered it! It makes a HUGE difference taste-wise.

Thank you so much, Coreen! These are such great tips- I’ll most definitely try then all!

Comment by Coreen — April 30, 2011 @ 10:53 PM

30. So sorry to hear that you have been ill,it is a good thing that you now know what is wrong and now you have an adventure ahead of you while working it all out.
    be well,
    Laura

Comment by thunja — May 1, 2011 @ 1:17 PM

31. Hi! I’m new to your site. A friend actually sent me a recipe she found on facebook for lemon snowball cookies because I was doing a lemon based dessert event. The cookies were a hit! Sorry to hear about your lactose intolerance. :-( I love spicy food and can still eat it, but too much of it gives me horrible acid reflux. So I can understand some of what you are going through. Congrats on your 3 year blogiversary! This month I celebrate my 1 year blogiversary!

Thank you, Tamara! I’m so happy the cookies were a hit! And so glad to have you as a reader now! :)

Comment by Tamara — May 1, 2011 @ 9:10 PM

32. Hi Amy, You’re brave to disclose your struggle with dairy products. I’m not sure how a Texan eats Mexican food without cheese but I’m sure you’ll figure out a way.

Congratulations on 3 years. I’m impressed. That’s quite an accomplishment.

Comment by Paula — May 1, 2011 @ 10:23 PM

33. Congratulations on the three years…and thank goodness you know now what you are dealing with. I’m sure it is hard giving up things you love, but I’m sure it must have been much harder to deal with your “mysterious” sickness up to now. You go girl! I gladly await all your new recipes.

Thank you so much!

Comment by Nuts about Food — May 2, 2011 @ 9:29 AM

34. If there was ever a time to be dramatic, this is it! I can assure you that I’d be dramatic if someone told me I could no longer eat dairy.

It sounds like you’re taking the news well…. I’m sure feeling amazing helps with that! Congrats to you on feeling good and for your blogoversary!

Comment by Dana — May 2, 2011 @ 12:00 PM

35. I am a new reader of your blog and I have lactose intolerance too! Here in Finland however, it’s not that big of a deal as we have a big range of lactose free products (milk, cream, cheese, you name it!). I used to live in the UK for four years and their range was a lot smaller. My point is, make some noise! If producers notice that lactose free products are needed more maybe they’ll bring some on the market in the US too. Also we have lactose tablets that we can get from pharmacies and have them before a meal that contains lactose. Also, hard cheeses are naturally lactose free! So not all cheese is bad. :)

You’re right, Marjaana- there are so many of us here in the US who are LI, we should definitely demand more products!

Comment by Marjaana — May 2, 2011 @ 12:38 PM

36. Happy Blogiversary!

I’m lactose intolerant too. Although, I can have some dairy before all hell breaks loose (you KNOW what I am talking about). I have found that I can substitute soy & almond milk in recipes calling for milk and everything works out just fine.

Do some research on soy. I’ve tried to cut drastically back on that and substitute with almond milk because I read some very interesting things about the effects that it has (particularly on women). Of course I also use lactose free milk. My favorite is Smart Balance. It is fat free and lactose free but it tastes more like 2% milk. The best part is that those people LOVE to give out coupons so I can get it for $.50 a carton after coupon pretty regularly. It also has a waaaaaay extended expiration date so I get several cartons.

Anyway, just some tips from a veteran.

p.s. Borden (not sure if you have them in your ares) and Lactaid make lactose free CHEESE.

p.p.s. The process of making yogurt turns lactose (evil) into lactic acid (which we can process) so even lactos intolerant people can have yogurt! Look into it yourself just to be on the safe side but I always wondered why yogurt didn’t make me sick so I did some research and voila!

MrsD05 Reply:

and for goodness sakes look at all those typos I made! ugh!

Thanks so much, Jenny! I didn’t know that about yogurt! Hallelujah! ;) I will most definitely look for all of these things- especially the Borden lactose-free cheese!

Comment by MrsD05 — May 2, 2011 @ 4:24 PM

37. I’m sorry to hear that–you sure did a good job of hiding your ailments, I never would’ve guessed! Thankfully there is still SO MUCH you can eat and I have no doubt you’ll keep making and creating wonderful meals!

Comment by natalie (the sweets life) — May 3, 2011 @ 2:56 PM

38. I feel your pain. Literally. I found out I was lactose intolerant 3 years ago. I’ve found that for me it’s like a roller coaster. Some weeks I can’t eat any dairy at all, other weeks I’m fine. Like right now, I haven’t taken a Lactaid pill in weeks and haven’t really been watching my dairy intake.

I’ve also found that my body does just fine with hard cheeses and goat and sheep milk products. Cream cheese and ice cream are my worst enemies. Luckily there are so many products to avoid dairy, we’re lucky. I can’t imagine being LI ten or twenty years ago.

I have a Goat Cheese tag in my blog and a Lactose Intolerant Friendly tag as well if you want to see some things I’ve posted.

Best of luck as you learn how to deal with LI in your own way. It’s definitely a never ending journey.

Comment by Jen @ BeantownBaker.com — May 4, 2011 @ 9:28 PM

39. Happy blogiversary !!!
    The 29th was my “blog’s birthday” too !!

Comment by Anna — May 5, 2011 @ 11:19 AM

40. Happy blogiversary girl! I’m sorry to hear about your lactose intolerance but I am so glad that you’re feeling better! You’re so optimistic and happy, I love it! Keep it up! :)

Comment by Lindsey @ Hot Polka Dot — May 5, 2011 @ 11:49 PM

41. Happy blogiversary! Thanks for sharing this intimate part of your life. Hang in there, glad you are feeling better! (Love your blog whether you post frequently or not.) :)

Comment by Nikki (Pennies on a Platter) — May 6, 2011 @ 9:50 AM

42. Amy! No need to apologize for your “picture-free” post — blogs are for sharing your LIFE (of which “food” is only a part.) It’s good to shake things up now and then. :)

So sorry to hear about your tummy troubles, but I’m glad you finally know the cause — sounds like you’re making informed decisions!

Looking forward to year FOUR of Sing For Your Supper — CONGRATULATIONS!
    Your friend,
    Kim (aka Kimby)

Comment by Kimby — May 7, 2011 @ 5:26 PM

43. Oh my dear! I totally sympathize as a dairy lover/lactose intolerant lady myself. I’m sure I’m not telling you anything haven’t already heard from you amazing readers, but I went through every kind of milk substitute (Rice milk, soy milk, almond dream, ect), and found that I liked the lacaid milk best. It’s a little thicker than normal milk, so since I usually drank 2%, the skim lactaid is perfect. I can cook with it and nobody else who eats it can tell. I know there is lactose free ice cream out there, but maybe you could even make it yourself with the lactaid milk too.

I also use the lactaid pills when I eat out, because you just never know what someone’s going to put into your food. I also use it when I break down and just have to have a slice of pizza, or whatever.
    I manage a GI practice (ha!) so I get tons of inside info on lactose intolerance. My doc told me that it’s a cow issue, and that some LI folks (including myself) cannot tolerate red meat easily either. sigh. Although the good news is that goat cheese is no problem!!

I started reading your blog when you were doing Project Food Buzz, and I’ve loved every bit of it since! Congrats on your 3 year milestone! Just think, now you have a whole new world of things to blog about, and I will be anxiously awaiting your lactose free recipes! If you want to try out my favorite lactose free recipe, check out my post for Coke Chicken: http://lizzandlittlebit.wordpress.com/2011/01/20/coke-chicken/

Good Luck, and I’m glad that you’re feeling better!

Comment by Lizz — May 9, 2011 @ 6:28 PM

44. Hi Amy. I just came over your amasing blog.. Love it. I also have a laktose problem, do not as bad as you. I have found many substitute products, such as non-laktose cream (both vippingcream and foodcream), non laktose cremacheese, vanillacream etc. I live in Norway, and I asume there is much more products in the States then here.. So good luck hunting them down.. :)

Best wishes Trude

Comment by Trude — May 26, 2011 @ 4:16 AM

45. I am realizing I’m a little late to this party, but I must say Congrats… On the 3 years, and a big BOO to the lactose intolerance. I must admit, I found out that I have the same thing… I found out in the middle of my first full-term pregnancy, when my favorite foods were cereal with lots of milk, and fiesta ranch dip with carrots. This wasn’t easy on me to say the least, but there’s help out there…. I know you’ve heard the suggestions, and have probably heard of this but there are Lactaid pills that you take when you eat any type of dairy products… They work like magic, bringing back your favorite foods with out the sickening after mass. I hope you have tried them, without them my meals would be boring. And needless to say, it’s good to know now, because it’s hereditary. I should’ve known long before I did.. signs showed when I was 6.. EEK.. better late than never I suppose.. My dad has it, my sister has it (along w/ a soy allergy), and when my children were younger they suffered from it as well. So when babies come along, and the doctor tells you it reflux.. which is the usual response… change the formula to lactose free first then try soy… I just thought I’d share what I know, a heads up for the future so to speak.. Best Wishes.

~Brooklyn Brandenburg

Thanks so much, Brooklyn! I really appreciate that! :)

Comment by Brooklyn B — June 1, 2011 @ 8:49 PM

46. Happy (belated) anniversary!
    In regards to the lactose intolerance- don’t let it stop you! My husband was dianosed lactose intolerant 2 years ago and while the transition was tough, it’s no longer a burden. We’ve found so many great dairy alternatives. Lactaid milk, tofutti cream cheese and sour cream, veggie cheeses, and much more. I can now substitute almost any dairy product and still have great results. It takes a little getting used to, but we definitely indulge in faux “cheesy” meals and love it. Best of luck! :)

Comment by Vanessa — June 8, 2011 @ 7:58 PM

47. Happy blogiversary (much belated)! I have to say, I completely know how you feel! For 10 years, I suffered with symptoms I’m sure you are more than familiar, plus several others, which also affected my moods. Nevertheless, I found out last August that I have Celiac disease, so my blog has turned into a gluten free one because of that (that is if I return to posting). Anyway, I’m so happy for you that you finally know what’s been making you ill as I can completely relate to how horrible that feels. So happy for you! And congrats on your pregnancy!

Comment by Krista — June 19, 2011 @ 1:54 PM