You see these cookies? They look like pretty average, plain ‘ol cookies, don’t they? Well. You’re in for a treat, my friends, because these are NO average cookies! These have a special secret lurking within…just waiting to be discovered. All it takes is one bite………….

Aaaaand BOOM, BABY!! Gooey, warm, flowing chocolate right in the center! One bite and suddenly you’re in heaven. Chocolate heaven. The cookie is warm, soft and chewy; and when it’s accompanied by the soft, melty chocolate in the center, it’s just pure bliss. I got the idea for these the other night while trying to sleep (that happens a lot- most people count sheep; I think up cookie ideas)- I was thinking about how much I love chocolate chip cookies, and somehow I ended up with these in mind. They’re really, really simple to make – just whip up some quick ganache (chocolate and heavy cream), then whip up your favorite chocolate chip cookie dough (sans chocolate chips), stuff the dough with the ganache and you’re done (practically). Unfortunately I couldn’t think up a really clever, delicious-sounding name for these (although hubby suggested I call them “Transformer Cookies”, since there’s more than meets the eye……yep, that’s who I married, folks) – but I think Chocolate Ganache-Stuffed Cookies will do nicely.

Chocolate Ganache-Stuffed Cookies

1 batch chocolate chip cookie dough, without the chocolate chips (any recipe you want- I used this one)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup (approx. 6 oz.) chocolate chips
pinch of sugar
salt for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat heavy cream and sugar in a small pan over medium heat until boiling; pour over the chocolate chips. Let sit for a few seconds then stir to combine.  Chill for at least one hour.

Make the cookie dough according to desired recipe. Chill.

To assemble: using a small cookie scoop or a spoon, scoop out some dough- flatten with the palm of your hand and place a small spoonful of ganache in the center. Cover with another scoop of flattened dough and seal the edges (you’ll have a small disk), then gently roll into a ball. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with sea salt. Place each cookie at least 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown. If you’re like me, you’ll eat them hot out of the oven, but my husband likes them better when they’re completely cooled. Enjoy!

These cookies are seriously the best thing to come out of my oven in a long time- they’re perfectly, wonderfully, simply delicious!

1. Wow these look awesome. And sound super easy. Gonna have to give them a try.

Comment by Jennifer — July 15, 2010 @ 11:50 AM

2. Whoa! Definitely trying these – they look amazing! :)

Comment by Jessica of My Baking Heart — July 15, 2010 @ 11:56 AM

3. ::Jaw hits the floor:: Genius!

Comment by Melissa — July 15, 2010 @ 12:00 PM

4. Uuuu – you’re so sneaky! I love them.

Comment by Eliana — July 15, 2010 @ 12:00 PM

5. No way! These look dangerous! :)

Comment by Crepes of Wrath — July 15, 2010 @ 12:11 PM

6. Oh my gosh… you’re brilliant! Absolutely perfectly undeniably brilliant!
    I want these now!

Comment by ValerieF — July 15, 2010 @ 12:16 PM

7. WOW!!!!!

Comment by Shannon — July 15, 2010 @ 12:40 PM

8. I’ve been visiting your blog for a while and I just wanted to say that you are a really talented baker!

Comment by Jen — July 15, 2010 @ 1:15 PM

9. Thank you so much, Jen! :) What a sweet compliment!!

Comment by amy — July 15, 2010 @ 1:16 PM

10. And you are now officially my hero. Love this idea!

Comment by Karly — July 15, 2010 @ 3:18 PM

11. wow! so yummy!

Paula

Comment by Paula — July 15, 2010 @ 4:00 PM

12. That looks so good. I could see my daughter loving this cookie.

Comment by Joy — July 15, 2010 @ 4:30 PM

13. These look amazing! What a creative idea. I can’t wait to try these. Great twist on choc. chip cookies.

Comment by Stephanie — July 15, 2010 @ 4:36 PM

14. These look pretty rockin’ I’m excited to try!!

Comment by Anne @ the doctor takes a wife — July 15, 2010 @ 5:40 PM

15. OH MY GOODNESS!!! These cookies look AMAZING!!!!!!! I want them all. I’m bookmarking this recipe.

Comment by Memoria — July 15, 2010 @ 10:29 PM

16. Ok, 1. YUM! Definitely going to try this recipe! and 2. I am applauding you and your husband for the wonderful trip down memory lane: Transformer cookies is the greatest name for a cookie! You should get Frank Welker to do a voice over for the baking process!

Comment by Jess — July 16, 2010 @ 8:39 AM

17. I made these yesterday and they are really good!

Comment by Nicole — July 16, 2010 @ 10:00 AM

18. Awesome, Nicole! I’m so glad you decided to try them- they look great!! So happy you enjoyed them!

-Amy

Comment by amy — July 16, 2010 @ 10:27 AM

19. Oh my…. Dangerously amazing!

Comment by Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — July 16, 2010 @ 12:26 PM

20. These look incredible! Love your blog. Great things going on here!

Comment by Adrienne — July 16, 2010 @ 1:30 PM

21. wow—what a great idea! I can’t wait to try these! Just rediscovered my love for choc chip cookies this week so this is perfect :)

Comment by Natalie (The Sweets Life) — July 16, 2010 @ 1:34 PM

22. SEE!!! Jess thought “Transformer Cookies” was an awesome name, too!!!

Comment by Joel (Amy's Husband) — July 16, 2010 @ 3:21 PM

23. Haha! Ok sweetie, I guess you’re not alone! :)

Comment by amy — July 16, 2010 @ 3:22 PM

24. Well, i tried them last night. After getting halfway through the batter I gave up and just mixed the ganache into the dough and cooked the cookies that way (interesting marbley cookies). I couldn’t figure out how to flatten the 2 halves without getting it stuck either to me or the parchment paper I was using and then I’d get chocolate on my finger from the ganache…sort of a disaster. They tasted good though and the guys at work liked them!

Carolyn- usually it helps to sprinkle a little flour or dip your fingers in a little water if the dough starts sticking. That’s why it’s helpful to have really thoroughly chilled dough. You really can’t expect to make cookies like these without getting your hands/fingers a little dirty- I just keep a wet paper towel nearby and there’s no problem.

-Amy

Comment by Carolyn — July 16, 2010 @ 5:21 PM

25. OMG’sh! These flash me back to when I LOVED Nabisco’s (?) version of chocolate chip cookies with the chocolate filling. Do they even have those anymore?? I must try these! Thanks for thinking of this! :)

OH – and love the “Transformer Cookies” name. Transformers 3 is being filmed in Chicago and we were lucky enough to witness some of the filming and sets last weekend. I actually met Optimus Prime! lol!

nicole Reply:

The cookies you are referencing are “magic middles”. They were keebler and they were my favorite. I’m going to try this recipe.

Comment by Nikki (Pennies on a Platter) — July 16, 2010 @ 9:49 PM

26. These look divine-I wish I were that thoughtful when I’m trying to go to sleep!

I love the transformers anecdote!!!

Comment by Jennifer — July 18, 2010 @ 12:07 PM

27. i don’t even know what to say about these! :-) they look heavenly!

Comment by ashley — July 19, 2010 @ 11:29 AM

28. cannot wait to make them!

Comment by Jessie — July 19, 2010 @ 3:13 PM

29. These look delicious

Comment by Carrie — July 19, 2010 @ 8:55 PM

30. OH.MY.GAWSH. For those of us who read your blog, we are so very grateful that you don’t count sheep when you can’t sleep!! I want these…NOW.

Comment by Mother — July 19, 2010 @ 10:16 PM

31. I think I probably hadn’t chilled the dough enough. I expected it to get on my hands but had trouble unsticking the cookies from my hands…thanks for the water or flour tip. I’m not sure why I didn’t think of it.

The cookies I did make tasted really good though!

Comment by Carolyn — July 20, 2010 @ 3:24 PM

32. Better luck next time, Carolyn! Glad you enjoyed the ones you made, though! :)

Comment by amy — July 20, 2010 @ 3:29 PM

33. These cookies look fabulous- Love the chocolate hidden inside! Thanks for sharing :)

Comment by Betty — July 21, 2010 @ 8:44 PM

34. My husband is going to thank you after I make these! Yum!! He’ll also appreciate the Transformers reference- it’s one of his favorite old school cartoons.

Comment by Tracey — July 26, 2010 @ 6:56 AM

35. So, Blake and I were at the pool with my parents this weekend and my mom, as she always does, made great snack food. I started munching on these great chocolate filled cookies and as I started to rave about then my mom said, “I got them off Sing For Your Supper…” They were SO good! We really enjoy your blog! – Leigh

Comment by Leigh Smith — July 26, 2010 @ 12:22 PM

36. Oh my gosh, Leigh, that’s so sweet!! I’m so flattered that your mom made my cookies! Tell her thanks for spreading the love! :) Hope you and Blake are doing great!

Comment by amy — July 26, 2010 @ 12:27 PM

37. I followed the recipe and these would not come together at all. i ended up giving up on assembling them and just mixed the ganache and dough and kind of made swirled cookies.

Comment by Karyn — July 29, 2010 @ 2:44 PM

38. Karyn- sorry you couldn’t get them to come out right. Better luck next time.

Comment by amy — July 29, 2010 @ 3:15 PM

39. I couldn’t get these to form balls very well after I made little disks. The ones that did sort of form balls kind of exploded in the oven. I think my ganache was too wet, and that made them hard to deal with.
    Tasty, though.

You have to handle them pretty gingerly while forming into balls. Make sure your ganache is good and firm, also. Better luck next time!

Comment by Elaine — August 12, 2010 @ 5:47 PM

40. I made these cookies yesterday…after an hour in the fridge the dough and ganache weren’t quite firm enough but after a few more hours they were fine. I also made a bunch of the discs first, then added the ganache, then put the discs together and rolled them into balls. It was easier to do it like that, than trying to do disc, chocolate, disc. And they came out perfect! So yummy, needless to say, I need to whip up another batch so I can share! Thanks so much for sharing! BTW…you should call them “transformer cookies” because I forget to bookmark the recipe when I first stumbled upon it, and too many come up under “chocolate ganache-stuffed”. I remembered the “transformer” reference and it popped up as one of the top 10 results :)

Alyssa- there is no difference between your process and mine- maybe I didn’t describe it clearly enough but the way you made them is exactly the way I make them! I’m so glad you enjoyed them! That is hilarious about the “Transformer cookie” reference! Who would’ve thought?!! Haha!

Comment by Alyssa — September 5, 2010 @ 1:15 PM

41. [...] got this idea from Sing for your Supper’s “Chocolate Ganache Stuffed Cookies,” and while I followed her directions, I used the chocolate chip cookie recipe from The [...]

Pingback by Chocolate Surprise Cookies | My Baking Empire — December 9, 2010 @ 10:19 AM

42. [...] so it’s not a total loss. But I’m thinking I’m going to have to give these Chocolate Ganache Stuffed Cookies a try next, don’t [...]

Pingback by Successful Weekend Before Christmas Shopping! | kevin & amanda { blog } — December 20, 2010 @ 6:00 AM

43. These were fantastic. My cookie dough work out perfect. Not sticky at all and there is was no need to refrigerate the dough. Also, I tweaked the assembly process just a little–no need for 2 disks. Thanks for posting this recipe! It was exactly what I was looking for.

Comment by Tarnation — December 23, 2010 @ 9:58 AM

44. [...] landed on these amazing Chocolate Ganache-Stuffed Cookies from Amy over at Sing For Your Supper.  I’d made them once before and while they were [...]

Pingback by Kitchy Cooking − Marshmallow-stuffed Chocolate Cookies — January 7, 2011 @ 3:17 PM

45. omg. i had this recipe sent to me today. i rushed home to try them. easy. delicious.

if all your recipes are this delicious and simple, i may need to follow your blog regularly!

Thank you so much, Jen! You should definitely stick around! :)

Comment by Jen — February 4, 2011 @ 7:06 PM

46. [...] But don’t let that scare you away from the cookies.  They are wonderfully delicious.  almost too delicious…. Chocolate Ganache Stuffed Cookiescourtesy of Sing for Your Supper [...]

Pingback by Ridiculously dangerous cookies « Peace, Love and French Fries — August 7, 2011 @ 4:14 PM