And now begins the start of a new and exciting adventure I like to call, “What the Heck Was I Thinking?!”…..

Most of you know by now that I’ve entered myself in Foodbuzz’s Project Food Blog. If you’re not familiar, it’s basically like The Next Food Network Star or Top Chef, except for food bloggers (I know what you’re thinking and yes, apparently I am insane). There are 10 challenges and over 1,800 food bloggers. This week is the first challenge. So, yeah…I’m gonna need your votes. I’m also gonna need your friends’, families’, students’, bosses’, coworkers’, pen-pals’, pets’, neighbors’, dentists’ and ex-spouses’ votes. And anyone else you can think of. If you don’t mind :) (don’t worry- I’ll remind you when to vote!).

So, the first Project Food Blog challenge is to describe what defines me as a food blogger and why I think I should win. When you think about it, that’s kind of a tough question. What defines me as a food blogger? Jeez, my husband, my love of opera and singing, my family, my love of food and baking?? These are all good answers but none of them are really spot-on. I guess when you get right down to it, the one thing that defines me and my blog is, well…me. Where I come from, how I got here and all of the things in my happy life that make me who I am.

In college, I was a vocal performance major. I had big plans to start my opera career in NYC after graduating. Seriously. I know it’s cliché, but that was my dream. I never cared about food or cooking. I thought women who had big families and cooked and took care of their husbands and homes were crazy. Why would they choose that life? They were missing out on their own career.

My Junior year, though, everything changed when my eyes were opened and I finally took notice of a shy, sweet guy I had grown up with. I told him I was in love with him on Thanksgiving day 2004. We were engaged 2 months later. So much for NYC. My dreams had completely changed and I was utterly and beautifully happy.

At first, when Joel and I were newly married, I still wasn’t a very good cook. I made a lot of spaghetti and “dinners-in-a-box”. Then slowly but surely, as my cooking skills improved, I started realizing, there wasn’t much that made me happier than putting a good, homemade meal on the table for my hard-working husband each night. I started taking pride in my cooking. More and more, Joel and my family and friends would comment on how good a dish was, or how rich and delicious a cake would taste. I realized that this is what I loved and was meant for. I was never meant to run off to NYC and have a busy opera career (I still sing with an opera company chorus and teach voice lessons, and that’s just enough for me). I was meant to love a gentle, sweet man and take care of his home, cook him meals, and maybe have his children someday. I had become one of those women I hated. And I was thrilled. I’m still thrilled. I love baking, cooking and having family around my table. That’s what it’s all about for me. This is where I’m meant to be. This is why I blog. Instead of just having my husband at my table, I have thousands now. I get to share my food on a daily basis with my friends, family and thousands of strangers (now friends) who share my love of cooking and eating. I love getting comments from old elementary school teachers or ladies from my hometown church telling me they loved my last recipe and are so proud of me. My recipes are nothing fancy- just simple, down-to-earth dishes that anyone can make at home. I love getting emails from readers saying thank you for a great dish, or how much they love my recipes. This is why I blog. I have pride in where I come from and I want to share it with everyone I can.

The reason I should win Project Food Blog? Well, that’s really for you to decide. Just like every other contestant here, my passion is food and cooking. Writing about my kitchen successes and disasters is therapeutic and I think I’m fairly decent at it. I love the fact that I can write a silly little post about peanut butter and jelly cupcakes (they ARE really good, though!) and thousands of people actually want to read about it…that’s pretty amazing to me. Some mean kids stole my diary once, but other than that, I don’t recall anyone ever really wanting to read something I wrote. What simply started out as a hobby has grown into a passion. I enjoy this. Tremendously. I enjoy taking pictures of my food, writing about it, sharing my experiences with you…I enjoy it all.

1. cheers to the good life.

Comment by Jen — September 17, 2010 @ 9:14 AM

2. Amy! This was amazing! Written with such passion and love for what you do! Keep up the amazing job with everything you do!

Comment by Jessica Aston — September 17, 2010 @ 9:21 AM

3. I am but one reader, but I can tell you that I read a lot of blogs, as I am rather obsessed with blogs, food blogs especially, and yours is really my go-to blog for when I want to make something remarkable and tasty. Mine doesn’t EVER look as pretty as yours, but that’s okay! I’m an older cook with a catalog full of things I’ve been making for-ever, but your blog and awesome photography have encouraged me to try new things, and I am constantly referring folks to you for tasty ideas. I hope you win the food blog challenge. You just let us know when to push the buttons :-) Chris

Comment by Chris — September 17, 2010 @ 9:21 AM

4. I don’t know a lot about this kind of stuff, but it looks like a winner to me! I’m proud of you!

Comment by Daddy — September 17, 2010 @ 9:51 AM

5. I love it, Amy!! You definitely worried for nothing! :)

Comment by Jessica of My Baking Heart — September 17, 2010 @ 10:02 AM

6. What a great post Amy. I absolutely love it and am sure you will make it to the next round. You definitely have my vote :)

Comment by Eliana — September 17, 2010 @ 10:14 AM

7. Gosh, thank you all so much! You are all so sweet!! Thanks for the continued support of my blog- I love you guys!! :)

Comment by amy — September 17, 2010 @ 10:32 AM

8. You make us so proud!! But, of course, that didn’t just start with the blog! There is no doubt in our mind just who the winner is here !

Comment by Nana & Grandaddy — September 17, 2010 @ 11:00 AM

9. Great Post! Good Luck!!

Comment by pup — September 17, 2010 @ 2:53 PM

10. I love your blog and this post is just too cute.. simple and to the point :) We’ve got some good competition out there!! Good luck :)

Comment by Evan @swEEts — September 17, 2010 @ 3:35 PM

11. Wow this is probably the best PFB entry I’ve seen! You have a great talent for writing.

Comment by Susan — September 17, 2010 @ 3:40 PM

12. Nice blog, Amy. Keep up the good work!!! You are a winner!

Comment by Aunt Maryolyn — September 17, 2010 @ 9:37 PM

13. Baby,

I am so very proud of you. You are an incredible wife, cook, and writer. You of course have my vote!

I love you!
    Joel

Comment by Joel — September 17, 2010 @ 9:50 PM

14. Great description of what blogging means to you and love the pictures! I think Izzy is proud of you, too!

Comment by Mother — September 17, 2010 @ 11:08 PM

15. What a great post! I think you described you who are as a blogger beautifully – just the reasons why I keep coming back to read it. Good luck!

Comment by delishliving — September 18, 2010 @ 12:36 PM

16. Amy,
    Oh my…this is beautifully written and perfectly put. You, of course, have my vote and everyone else that I’ll tell to vote for you! :) I have SO enjoyed your blog, your adorable humor, and your FOOD! You should TOTALLY win!!!

Love you!
    Amy

Thank you so much, Amy. It means so much to me that you read my blog and have been such n encouragement! Love you too!

Comment by the other Amy B — September 18, 2010 @ 5:22 PM

17. The picture of your pup is too flippin’ cute!

Thanks June! Her name is Izzy and she’s a STINKER! :)

Comment by June g. — September 18, 2010 @ 8:06 PM

18. Hey, Amy! Great blog. Maybe you will do as well with this as you did with your famous cookie recipe! Love you.
    P.S. Come see us!!

Comment by Josie — September 19, 2010 @ 2:24 PM

19. I’m not voting for you unless you agree to clone that adorable pooch(with me being a recipient of one of it’s offspring) DEAL?

Comment by thunja — September 19, 2010 @ 11:22 PM

20. Haha! I’ll do my best, thunja! :)

Comment by amy — September 20, 2010 @ 9:59 AM

21. Great recipes, Amy! Loved voting for you!

Comment by Nancy — September 20, 2010 @ 1:36 PM

22. GREAT post, Amy! one of the best i’ve read yet – you know you’ve got my vote!

Comment by Tara @ Smells Like Home — September 20, 2010 @ 3:32 PM

23. Coming from you, Tara, that’s a HUGE compliment! Thank you so much!!

Comment by amy — September 20, 2010 @ 3:33 PM

24. It’s great to get to know you better! And that little pup is just irresistible!

Comment by Jeanne — September 20, 2010 @ 3:34 PM

25. Your dog is so cute! And I think we have the same camera and lens.
    Voted for you! Good luck with PFB :)

I would like to invite you to participate in my giveaway

Here is my entry for PFB http://www.foodbuzz.com/project_food_blog/challenges/1/view/668

Comment by Jane Ko — September 20, 2010 @ 3:52 PM

26. Wonderful post! You totally make me want to be one of those women we hate! ;)

Good luck, fellow PFBer!

Comment by Kimberly @ Poor Girl Eats Well — September 20, 2010 @ 5:37 PM

27. Hi Amy! I have several things to say:

First, you are adorable and I love your glasses.

Second, your little dog is adorable, especially his little (or should I say big:) ears. I love little dogs with big ears!

Third, thanks so much for stopping by my blog today!

Fourth, I love this entry and will definitely put in a vote for you for PFB.

Fifth, your photos are beautiful!

Okay, I think I’m done now:)

Candice, you are SO sweet!!! Thank you! I really enjoyed reading your PFB post today and getting to know you! Best of luck!!

Comment by Candice @ ChiaSeedMe — September 20, 2010 @ 10:55 PM

28. Great post! Your dog is adorable. I voted for you! =)

Good luck!

You can check out my PFB post at: http://www.foodbuzz.com/project_food_blog/challenges/1/view/503

Comment by Jacob's Kitchen — September 21, 2010 @ 11:33 AM

29. I am new here! I love your site! So pretty and yummy! I love your desserts and what a cute dog!

Comment by sterling style — September 21, 2010 @ 1:09 PM

30. Sterling- thank you so much!! So glad to have you as a reader now! :)

Comment by amy — September 21, 2010 @ 2:23 PM

31. Hey Lady! You’re stuff looks great for the fool blog competition! :-) I voted for you, hunny bun. Knock ‘em dead!

Comment by Courtney — September 21, 2010 @ 2:42 PM

32. What a lovely post! You so easily shared so much of yourself- and it’s a joy to read! Good luck!!! Voted for you as well!

Comment by A Boston Food Diary — September 21, 2010 @ 3:48 PM

33. Cute post! I gave you one of my votes – good luck. My entry is here – http://www.foodbuzz.com/project_food_blog/challenges/1/38?utm_campaign=pfb2010&utm_content=2&utm_medium=jswidget&utm_source=www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

Comment by the country cook @ Delightful Country Cookin' — September 21, 2010 @ 7:52 PM

34. Your doggie is so cute! Love those ears!

Comment by jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods — September 22, 2010 @ 8:00 AM

35. Thank you, Jennifer! She’s a stinker! ;)

Comment by amy — September 22, 2010 @ 8:24 AM

36. I think I’m in love with your dog! What a wonderful, wonderful story. I sing too so I understand both passions. Good luck.

Comment by Duchess — September 22, 2010 @ 9:41 AM

37. Amy, I only met you once, years ago, but your cuteness and passion made an impression. Now you have given me these great pb&j cupcakes to make and I can’t wait! As a semi-professional photographer, I have to say that your photo skills are pretty awesome too :{)

Cheers!

Comment by nerdstrap — September 22, 2010 @ 2:41 PM

38. nerdstrap – Thank you so much! How sweet! When/where did we meet??!! Now I’m so curious! ;)

Comment by amy — September 22, 2010 @ 2:45 PM

39. NEVERMIND!!! Hey Michael! (I should’ve known who you were right away from the mustache smiley face!) Thanks for your sweet comment! I hope you LOVE the cupcakes- let me know if you make them! :)

Comment by amy — September 22, 2010 @ 2:51 PM

40. AMY-Oh MY!!! Your pictures are beautiful.I had to take a double look…you look so much like your pretty Mom!! It is amazing! Proud of you! Sherri

Comment by Sherri F — September 22, 2010 @ 8:03 PM

41. So well written! Also, animals make any post 300% better. FACT.

Comment by Sweet Swallows — September 22, 2010 @ 8:07 PM

42. Just voted you;). I adore singing—my sister runs a dance company and sings and its just SOOOOO cool;). I loved that you are thrilled with becoming one of those women you hate;). To be honest? A little secret? Me too;). I LOVE IT!!!! Let me loose in the kitchen, driving my sweet kids to practice and school, making food gifts for people, learning to preserve, farmers markets…. sigh happy.

Comment by janelle — September 23, 2010 @ 10:44 AM

43. Thank you so much, Janelle!! There’s a reason so many women choose to live that sort of life- it’s wonderful!!! :)

Sherri- SO glad you stopped by!! And thank you for your sweet comment – I miss you!

Sweet Swallows – I completely agree!! :)

Comment by amy — September 23, 2010 @ 2:41 PM

44. Great entry! I wish I had a camera like yours! Your puppy is adorable as well. Best of luck in PFB! I voted for ya.

You can check out my entry here: http://www.foodbuzz.com/project_food_blog/challenges/1/view/583

Comment by bhealthier — September 23, 2010 @ 3:07 PM

45. Sounds like a wonderful life to me. In fact, I even voted for it. Good luck—you deserve to go far, and I’ll be stopping back often to see what’s new!

Comment by Kristina — September 23, 2010 @ 3:32 PM

46. Gosh, Kristina, that is SO nice!! Thank you so much for your vote and for your sweet comment! :)

Comment by amy — September 23, 2010 @ 3:37 PM

47. It was really cool to read so much about how your passion of food developed. Isn’t amazing how sometimes we have a plan, but then all of a sudden we are whisked away by something else and we couldn’t be happier?! You got my vote!

Comment by @lickmyspoon — September 23, 2010 @ 4:46 PM

48. Hey,Spectacular Amy, I thought I was just getting fatter, but I finally figured it out: I’m just swelling up with pride over your food blog and other accomplishments. Your entry was adorable and you got my vote!

Comment by Granna — October 1, 2010 @ 2:15 PM