Joel, our friends, my parents, grandparents, co-workers, neighbors, brother-in-law, opera friends….these are all the people who claim these to be their all-time favorite chocolate chip cookies. That’s not something to be taken lightly. These cookies have been hastily featured on here before, but they most certainly did NOT receive the full respect and attention they deserve. Now, I know I’ve definitely made my fair share of chocolate chip cookies through the years, but just bare with me while I share just one more (for now!)- the BFCCCCs (Big, Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies). I’ve honestly never made these for anyone who didn’t immediately say they were the best they’ve ever had, and I’ve made these a floppity-gillion times. That’s big. For me, it’s sort of a toss-up (and also depends largely on what mood I’m in) between these and the famous NY Times chocolate chip cookies. But for whatever reason, when I make chocolate chip cookies, it’s usually these. :) I realize the cookies in my pictures are not exactly “big and fat”- I prefer my cookies on the smaller side, so I always use a standard cookie scoop instead of the heaping 1/4 cup-size scoop it calls for.

You see that? That’s heaven in cookie form, right there! There’s not much better in life than a warm chocolate chip cookie and a glass of milk. Honestly. Now, I can’t actually tell you where this original recipe started. It bares a striking resemblance to the Cook’s Illustrated recipe, but with a few minor changes; yet the original recipe I first found was from allrecipes.com. Who knows. What I do know is, it’s delicious.

Big, Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 cups, plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon.
Drop cookie dough 1/4 cup at a time onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.

Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly golden (If you’re making smaller cookies like mine, bake them for about 10 minutes). Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. Makes approximately 12-14 very large cookies or 36 smaller cookies.

Recipe source: allrecipes.com

1. How can we not make these?! Big, fat and chewy!? Exactly what we look for in a cookie!

Comment by The Blue-Eyed Bakers — February 22, 2011 @ 6:08 AM

2. [...] Sing For Your Supper » Everyone's Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie… [...]

Pingback by Benefit of Dark Chocolate – Beating Diabetes | XOCAI Healthy Dark Chocolate - Buy-Healthy-Dark-Chocolate.com — February 22, 2011 @ 7:23 AM

3. These look SO good. All I want right now is a tall glass of chocolate milk and a plate of these cookies. Go ahead, make it happen ;)

Comment by Rebel mel — February 22, 2011 @ 7:25 AM

4. These are my all-time favorite cookie too! I find that, for me, they turn out better when I use half melted and half softened butter. Otherwise sometimes they’re too greasy – in case anyone else has that problem :) Mmmm, I think I’ll have to make a batch today!

Comment by misscarolb — February 22, 2011 @ 11:57 AM

5. Your recipe is very similar to my favorite, Alton Brown’s “The Chewy”. The sugar proportions are a little different, and his version has a little milk. I usually bake jumbo cookies (a floppity-gillion times :) ), but I personally prefer the size you made. Yours look absolutely delicious.

Comment by Linda — February 22, 2011 @ 1:01 PM

6. The JOY streaming from your photos and recipes is very apparent! I’m blessed to have found your website via a friend from the Tasty Kitchen. Sing, girl, SING! :)

Comment by Kimby — February 22, 2011 @ 3:44 PM

7. Wow, thank you, Kimby! How sweet!! I’m so happy you found me! :)

Comment by amy — February 22, 2011 @ 3:46 PM

8. P.S. Your previous black bean pie recipe melded many of my favorites into one dish… thank you!!!

Comment by Kimby — February 22, 2011 @ 3:46 PM

9. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Cintia, Amy Beskow. Amy Beskow said: Everyone's favorite chocolate chip cookie – it's gooey, chewy and bursting with chocolate! http://tinyurl.com/69ler2l [...]

Pingback by Tweets that mention Sing For Your Supper » Everyone’s Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie… -- Topsy.com — February 22, 2011 @ 3:48 PM

10. Holy…..YUM! Those look killer! Save!

Comment by Nicole, RD — February 22, 2011 @ 3:49 PM

11. Aaaaand…now I need to make them. I wonder how they would be wrapped in my favorite sugar cookie? Mmmmmm…

Comment by sarah — February 22, 2011 @ 4:23 PM

12. Amy, they sound delicious! I think I’ll try them over the weekend. I have one question, though – what size is a “standard cookie scoop”. They don’t sell cookie scoops in Australia, and I’ve been using a #40 ice-cream scoop for my cookies and a #20 for my muffins and cupcakes.

Could you tell me how many tablespoons your scoop holds? Thanks so much :)

Sarah- thanks so much! I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
    You should be good with a #40 scoop- I think that’s what mine is. It really doesn’t matter all that much, anyhow- just a rounded teaspoon would work great too. Whatever you have is fine! Enjoy!

Comment by Sarah @ SwizzleBerry — February 22, 2011 @ 10:02 PM

13. I have a very similar recipe – everything is the same but mine calls for 3/4 cup melted butter instead of 1 cup melted butter. Great tasting, chewy and chocolatey!

Comment by lisa — February 23, 2011 @ 9:46 AM

14. Hmmmm – that picture with the melty chocolate is making me drool!

Comment by Eliana — February 23, 2011 @ 11:18 AM

15. looking at your photos is a torture !! I’m in love with your cookies !!

Comment by a frog in the cottage — February 23, 2011 @ 12:16 PM

16. I am craving cookies now!

Comment by Maria — February 23, 2011 @ 2:08 PM

17. I honestly stopped trying new chocolate chip cookie recipes after I found Alton Brown’s The Chewy. But… these do look amazing and maybe I’ll have to give them a shot.

Comment by Jen @ BeantownBaker.com — February 23, 2011 @ 8:57 PM

18. Oh these look awesome! I’m always on the search for the best chocolate chip cookies. We’re featuring cookies this week over at the M&T Spotlight and would love for you to submit this: http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

Comment by Laurel — February 24, 2011 @ 12:13 AM

19. I honestly want to make these right now, but I just barely made chocolate malt cupcakes. Your picture is really tempting me. That’s not too much sugar for one day is it? A cupcake and a cookie? Ha Ha!

Comment by Jenn@eatcakefordinner — February 27, 2011 @ 9:53 PM

20. [...] skimmed over Amy’s post for chocolate chip cookies earlier this week.  The pictures made them look amazing, but I [...]

Pingback by best of {take 4} :: .liveit.loveit.blogit. — February 27, 2011 @ 9:53 PM

21. Just wanted to let you know I used your recipe and am about to post it (mentioning you, hope you do’t mind). Your pics were so amazing, I had to try them. The result was delicious, but they looked totally different. Will keep on trying…

Comment by Nuts about Food — February 28, 2011 @ 4:53 AM

22. ‘Nuts’- sorry they turned out a little differently for you. I actually made this dough ahead of time, then baked the cookies a couple of days later, so it was most likely the chilling time that made mine spread a little less. Try chilling your dough next time if you prefer a more crisp cookie.

Comment by amy — February 28, 2011 @ 10:15 AM

23. Hi Amy, they really turned out good so I am grateful for your recipe. I chilled them a little under 24 hours, will try longer the next time. I am still in love with your pics.

Comment by Nuts about Food — March 2, 2011 @ 4:30 AM

24. Alright, so I just made these cookies because I was craving some delicious chocolate chip cookies. Except I didn’t get cookies. I peaked in on the first tray when it had been cooking for five minutes and the batter had melted and spread itself across the cookie sheet. For the second tray, I made them a lot smaller and spread them out more, hoping this would cure the problem. But the batter still melted as soon as I stuck the tray in the oven, so now I have a big plate of chocolate chip cookie bars :( They’re still delicious, but I was hoping you might be able to tell me what I did wrong? I’m kind of new to this whole baking thing.

(I didn’t have parchment paper so I just used some PAM; could that be the issue?)

I’m sorry that happened to you, Rachel. They definitely should not have spread that much. Do you have any dough leftover? Try adding a little flour (start with 2 tablespoons) to the dough before baking. Did you use real butter (margarine does not work.)? I’m just sorry you had a bad experience with one of my recipes. Bummer. Please let me know if you do decide to try them again and how they turn out. Thanks so much, Rachel!

Jen Reply:

this happened to me once before with a cookie recipe and i realized its because i greased the pan beforehand, maybe thats the issue? putting them on a plain ungreased cookie sheet should work too even if you don’t have parchment

Could be, Jen. That’s definitely something she could try differently next time! Thanks! :)

Comment by Rachel — March 2, 2011 @ 7:13 PM

25. Oh don’t worry about it! It’s not your fault at all, and, like I said, they’re still really delicious! Yeah, I used real butter. I don’t have any dough left over but if I make them again I will definitely try that and let you know if they turn out better. Still, thanks for the recipe! :) It was quite an amusing experience.

Comment by Rachel — March 2, 2011 @ 9:46 PM

26. Made these tonight…yummy…think I’ll crash into a dabetic coma now. Nothing yummier than fresh melty chocolate chip cookies

Comment by Nick Semenza — March 2, 2011 @ 10:21 PM

27. Soo I made these twice. The first time I did it, I used semi-sweet chocolate chips and some chopped up dark chocolate. I think I mixed it too much at the end though, because it spread too thin and was a bit crispy (but still ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS)
    Then the second time, I took ghiradelli dark chocolate with raspberry center, froze them for a little bit, then chopped them up and added that. It was even better. I definitely recommend trying this!

What a fantastic idea, Anna! Yummy!

Comment by Anna Wat — March 3, 2011 @ 8:13 PM

28. I found your blog through annies eats and boy am I glad I did! I made these tonight and they are so so so so good!! I used half melted butter and half super softened almost melted butter and just a tad more flour and they are AMAZING! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Comment by Stephanie — March 3, 2011 @ 11:07 PM

29. [...] http://www.almostslowfood.com/?p=16 http://www.singforyoursupperblog.com/2011/02/22/everyones-favorite-chocolate-chip-cookie/ [...]

Pingback by My favorite chocolate chip cookies « The captious vegetarian — March 6, 2011 @ 11:56 AM

30. This looks amazing. I am going to have to try these out and see if my taste buds approve (I’m sure they will)

Comment by Kat @ Cupcake Kat — March 7, 2011 @ 9:57 PM

31. Hi! I’m so delighted that I came across your blog! These cookies look divine! If I wasn’t too lazy to drag my 3yr old and 8month old to the store to buy some ingredients, I’d be making these PRONTO!

I have a question though, if you don’t mind answering. How do you keep the cookies from turning out flat and thin??? Sometimes I have luck, and other times I don’t. I used to have a fabulous cookie recipe, but I lost it when I graduated from college. Unfortunately, I misplaced it in my memory bank too. :( Now I just have trouble making flat cookies. *waaaaahhhh! Can you please help me? Thanks for your time!

Hi Char- I’m so happy you found me! :)
    These can sometimes turn out pretty flat, so I would suggest adding an additional 2 tablespoons of flour. That should fix it.

Comment by Char — March 10, 2011 @ 2:49 PM

32. Thanks Amy! I’ll try that as soon as I buy some ingredients to make the cookies. Woohoo! Can’t wait!

Comment by Char — March 11, 2011 @ 5:41 PM

33. Hi Amy!
    Just wanted to let you know that I tried out the recipe…FINALLY! Yay! In my excitement, I forgot to buy some more eggs, so I was only able to add one egg. I was worried about it coming out wrong, so I added some sour cream (I know! Random choice right!? I remember it keeping my cakes moist, so I added about 1 1/2 tbsp. and prayed it would come out okay.) Anyway, they came out wonderful and plump! It’s been two days, and we’re out of cookies already, so I’m going to have to buy some more eggs to bake another batch! Thanks for your help!

That’s great, Char! I’m so happy they turned out ok (nice job with the quick thinking, btw!)! Thanks for telling me! :)

Comment by Char — March 15, 2011 @ 3:20 PM

34. I was looking at food blogs, getting hungrier and hungrier, and decided to make these– with the standing ovation you gave them, I knew I had to do it right away! They are delicious– thank you!!!

That’s wonderful, Alli! I’m so happy you enjoyed them, thank you for telling me!

Comment by Alli — March 19, 2011 @ 7:54 PM

35. I had the same problem as a few others. Mine turned out flatter than a pancake. I am an experienced baker too! It probably has to do with how we differ in measuring our flour.

Comment by R — April 15, 2011 @ 5:48 PM

36. I’ve been on a long quest to try out all the different versions of this cookie out there – you should see my favorties tab under ‘chocolate chip cookies’ – it’s insane! Now, some may be exact recipes and some I just can’t try yet (ones that call for chilling the dough 24-48 hours…uh, I can’t do that! I want them now!)

I tried these the other day and used half softened butter/half melted. I also had never done the 1 egg, 1 egg yolk thing and I think these two things are what made this cookie!

I just had to write you because my husband – who doesn’t always necessarily rave when I make something – took a few bites and told me how great they were! If I have his seal of approval, then I’m putting this recipe at the top of my Favorite 3 CC Cookie recipes! Thanks!

Comment by Katy — May 12, 2011 @ 2:24 PM

37. This cookies were really good. I enjoyed them a lot, but …. they look NOTHING like what your picture shows. I use a cookie dough scooper which produces small cookies, but they flatten out and look nothing like what you have. The only change i made in the recipe is i used salted butter. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks again!

damien

Comment by damien — August 16, 2011 @ 10:59 AM

38. I was SO excited to make these cookies but they came out completely different from the pictures. When I baked them, the cookies spread out on the cookie sheet. Instead of rising and being fat and chewy, they were thin. I followed the recipe exactly, so I’m not sure what went wrong. Please, please help!

I’m not sure either. Let me double- check my recipe and get back to you. Perhaps I made a typo. So sorry these didn’t turn out for you!

Eboni Reply:

No need to apologize. I’m gonna give them another shot with your recipe. I’m starting to think that the butter I used had a very high vegetable oil content (75%) which made the cookies spread. So this time I’m going to use Land O’ Lakes and not cut corners. I’ll let you know how they turn out.

Eboni Reply:

I made the cookies today and they were absolutely, positively AMAZING! They were chewy, full of chocolate and the perfect texture. The butter was definitely the issue…I used Land O’ Lakes and the cookies didn’t spread and flatten like last time. I couldn’t wait to tell you how they turned out. Thanks for this amazing recipe!

Wonderful!! I’m so glad they turned out this time! In the future, I’d suggest avoiding baking with any kind of margarine or butter “spread”- it never turns out ideally. Happy Halloween!

Comment by Eboni — October 16, 2011 @ 11:02 PM

39. [...] Everyone’s Favorite CCC from Sing for Your Supper GA_googleAddAttr("AdOpt", "1"); GA_googleAddAttr("Origin", "other"); GA_googleAddAttr("theme_bg", "ffffff"); GA_googleAddAttr("theme_text", "000000"); GA_googleAddAttr("theme_link", "4f998d"); GA_googleAddAttr("theme_border", "322f28"); GA_googleAddAttr("theme_url", "ae1f10"); GA_googleAddAttr("LangId", "1"); GA_googleAddAttr("Autotag", "food"); GA_googleAddAttr("Autotag", "cooking"); GA_googleAddAttr("Tag", "baked-goods"); GA_googleAddAttr("Tag", "chocolate-chip-cookie-search"); GA_googleAddAttr("Tag", "cookies"); GA_googleAddAttr("Tag", "recipe-list"); GA_googleAddAttr("Tag", "snack"); GA_googleFillSlot("wpcom_sharethrough"); Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. This entry was posted in baked goods and tagged chocolate chip cookie search, cookies, recipe list, snack. Bookmark the permalink. [...]

Pingback by Chocolate Chip Cookie Roundup! | makinghealthahabit — December 1, 2011 @ 6:13 PM

40. [...] Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies – Source: Sing for your supper [...]

Pingback by Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies | | Sundays with JennieSundays with Jennie — December 3, 2011 @ 11:27 PM

41. Hi Amy,
    I stumbled across your website awhile ago and I was immediately drawn to all the wonderful photos of this amazing looking food… I HAD to try out these cookies (or biscuits as we call them in Australia!) but I had a bit of trouble that the others where having with them turning out flat but I’ll try adding more flour and not greasing the trays before and see how we go!
    Your exuberance for cooking definitely bounces off the screen, so thankyou!!

Comment by Ashlee — December 8, 2011 @ 10:56 PM

42. I made these yesterday after being less than happy with the Tollhouse ones I made a few days ago. These came out perfectly when I baked them for 13 minutes. They also looked much prettier than the other ones! Thanks!

Comment by Erin — May 13, 2012 @ 10:35 AM

43. These are awesome! I needed a good oatmeal raisin/chocolate chip cookie recipe…so I used this too. Just add some cinnamon and old fashion oats…oh, my, gosh. So amazing! And the trick is to make them small. That way you don’t feel as bad when you eat 10 of them.

So happy to hear it!

Comment by Annarwat — June 4, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

44. [...] to cool completely. Makes approximately 12-14 very large cookies or 36 smaller cookies. Source: singforyoursupper Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like [...]

Pingback by Chocolate Chip Cookies « adoanut — August 27, 2012 @ 4:04 PM

45. these have absolutely become my go-to cookie. They turn out perfectly chewy and soft every time, and stay that way for days! (if they last that long) Thank you Thank you Thank you for posting!!

Thrilled to hear it!!

Comment by Celeste — September 18, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

46. If I could choose my last meal on earth, it would hands down be macaroni and cheese with chocolate chip cookies for dessert. I’ve tried various chocolate chip cookie recipes and with a recipe titled like this, I simply had no choice but to give it a try! Plus my 3 year old has been begging to make chocolate chip cookies together. lol. I’m glad I gave half the double batch I made away to my neighbours because I can’t stop eating them!!! So so delicious. I’ll certainly be making these again. Thank you!

Comment by Heather — November 9, 2012 @ 2:22 PM

47. I made these tonight and they came out PERFECT!!! best cookies I have ever made :) I used another recipe that called for no brown sugar and it came out cakey? wasn’t good and bland :| these were so much better!! thank you :)

Comment by nicolle — January 6, 2013 @ 4:41 AM

48. I cannot believe how awesome these cookies are. My cookies don’t come out as thick, but it’s thick enough. This is the best chocolate chip cookie recipe out there. I’ve wasted countless hours and supplies trying to find the perfect cookie recipe. I look no further. They are absolutely divine. A must for everyone. They’re actually in the oven right now…I’ve made these three times now…yummy!!!!!! Thank you for sharing!

Comment by Katrina G Cheek — February 28, 2013 @ 7:45 AM

49. Did anyone else’s cookie dough come out a bit greasy?

Comment by Taylor — September 20, 2013 @ 2:36 PM