Happy Friday! I have some GREAT news- yesterday Joel and I had our “big” sonogram at the doctor’s office. You know, the big gender reveal?! After weeks and weeks of people constantly asking us, “do you know yet what you’re having??” we were SO ready for this day. Everybody had their guesses, but in the end team pink won out! That’s right, WE’RE HAVING A LITTLE GIRL!!!! Words can’t even begin to express how excited we both are- I’ve always dreamed of having a girl and when the sonogram technician said, “it’s a little girl!” my heart skipped a beat and Joel and I couldn’t stop giggling.

So obviously, that’s where these cookies come in. After I got home from the doctor I couldn’t sit still. I had already called, texted, facebooked and tweeted my friends and loved ones so really, there was nothing left for me to do but get in the kitchen and bake some girly pink cookies to celebrate! These soft frosted sugar cookies (yes, just like the sugary store-bought ones!) were the first things to come to mind! I had seen variations of them on all my friends’ blogs- Annie, Jessica and Tara, to name a few- and knew I had to make my own (especially since Joel absolutely adores the store-bought version!). As expected, these did NOT disappoint! They’re super soft, chewy and taste just like their store-bought counterparts, only better! We’re in love!

Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies

For the cookies:
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
5 teaspoons vanilla extract

For the frosting:
5 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1/3 cup (5 1/3 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
7-8 tablespoon milk (plus more, as needed)
Food coloring (optional)
Sprinkles (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.  In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt.  In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on medium-high speed until soft and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.  Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.  Blend in the vanilla.  With the mixer on low speed, add in the dry ingredients mixing just until incorporated and evenly mixed.  Cover and chill the dough for 1 hour.

When you are ready to bake the cookies, scoop a scant quarter cup of dough and roll into a ball.  Flatten the ball slightly and place on the prepared baking sheet.  Repeat with the remaining dough, spacing the cookies at least 2-3 inches apart.  Bake about 10-12 minutes or just until set  (do not overbake!  The edges should be no more than very lightly browned if at all).  Let cool on the baking sheet for several minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

To make the frosting, place the confectioners’ sugar in a medium bowl.  Add the melted butter, vanilla, and milk to the bowl and whisk until smooth.  Whisk in additional milk as necessary, 1 teaspoon at a time, until you reach your desired consistency.  Tint with food coloring if desired.  Use a spatula or spoon to frost the cooled cookies (If the frosting begins to thicken as you decorate, just continue to whisk in small amounts of milk to keep it workable).  Top with sprinkles if desired.  Store in an airtight container. Makes 2 dozen large cookies.

Recipe source: Annie’s Eats, originally from Hostess With the Mostess

1. Cute! And Sweet! And BIG Congratulations! What a blessed little girl she is to have such delightful parents!

Comment by LaJuana — September 2, 2011 @ 3:59 AM

2. Congratulations! And such pretty cookies! Love them!

Comment by Lily — September 2, 2011 @ 4:14 AM

3. Congratulations!! That’s so exciting! And you definitely found a great way to celebrate… these cookies look delish!

Comment by Dana — September 2, 2011 @ 7:49 AM

4. Congrats!! Little girls are so much fun to dress and to buy for!! Lovely cookies too. I really need to make these asap!

Comment by Shannon — September 2, 2011 @ 8:09 AM

5. Yay for sweet baby girls!! Let the shopping begin! :)

Comment by Chrissy — September 2, 2011 @ 8:09 AM

6. How wonderful and exciting!! WHat a fun recipe too! Now you get to choose names. :D

Comment by Noelle — September 2, 2011 @ 8:12 AM

7. Congratulations on a little girl!!

Comment by Megan — September 2, 2011 @ 9:00 AM

8. So so happy for you guys! Congrats!!

Comment by Amy @ The Nifty Foodie — September 2, 2011 @ 9:27 AM

9. Congratulations! My husband and I were lucky enough to hear those words 12 weeks ago. Your little girl is going to be so lucky to have you as her mother (and your husband of course as her father) and I wish you all the best. I’m sure 16 years from now we’ll both have some stories to share.

Comment by Kate — September 2, 2011 @ 9:28 AM

10. Congrats! Girls are so much fun, especially in those really young days when you can dress them in whatever you want! I love it! And these cookies are the perfect way to celebrate!

Comment by Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) — September 2, 2011 @ 9:29 AM

11. Congrats on a sweet little girl! They’re so much fun :)

Comment by Shawnda — September 2, 2011 @ 9:37 AM

12. Congratulations! Such cute cookies to celebrate your little girl!

Comment by Stephanie — September 2, 2011 @ 9:39 AM

13. Congratulations!

Comment by Sarah E. — September 2, 2011 @ 9:44 AM

14. Thank Heaven for Little Girls!!! Congrats!!!

Comment by Suzy — September 2, 2011 @ 9:45 AM

15. Congrats Amy!! Sooo excited for you! What a great way to celebrate, I love these cookies, too!

Comment by Krystal R — September 2, 2011 @ 9:57 AM

16. Yay! Speaking as someone with 2 daughters and a grandaughter, you will have way too much fun! The cookies look super yummy as well!

Comment by Melissa L. — September 2, 2011 @ 10:00 AM

17. congrats! little girls are the best! I have a 2 year old and another little girl on the way! = ) Charlotte already like to help bake cookies…so look forward to that!

Comment by Elya — September 2, 2011 @ 10:09 AM

18. Congratulations!! Your little girl is going to love eating these cookies in a few years.

Comment by The Food Hunter — September 2, 2011 @ 10:32 AM

19. Congratulations on your little girl!!! :) Girls are so much fun, I have two – 4 and 6 yrs old. She’ll be your baking partner someday. <3 Cookies look great!

Comment by Amy B. — September 2, 2011 @ 10:34 AM

20. Congratulations! We’re expecting our first baby in October and it’s a girl. I had a feeling, but when the ultrasound tech told us it was definitely a little girl, I was so excited! Baby girls are the best!

Congrats to you too, Stephanie! How exciting!

Comment by Stephanie — September 2, 2011 @ 12:04 PM

21. Thank you everybody! Your sweet comments make me feel SO happy! :)

Comment by amy — September 2, 2011 @ 12:06 PM

22. Yay yay and YAY! This post brought tears to my eyes. God has blessed you with a sweet baby girl to sing to sleep every night. I’m so happy for you!

Comment by Kelsey — September 2, 2011 @ 12:17 PM

23. CONGRATS–I was so excited for you when I saw the announcement on twitter :)

I need to make this…possibly for an event I have next weekend. If I made the cookies 2 days before serving and stored in an airtight container, would they last?

Definitely!

Comment by natalie (the sweets life) — September 2, 2011 @ 12:59 PM

24. Congratulations! How exciting!!!

Comment by Kerry — September 2, 2011 @ 1:16 PM

25. Congratulations! Our little guy and your little gal will have to meet someday:) Love the cookies!

Congratulations to you too, Maria! You don’t have long to go now- any day he’ll be here! Woo hoo!!

Comment by Maria — September 2, 2011 @ 1:42 PM

26. Congratulations on your little girl! So exciting! Love these cookies… all my kids thank you for this recipe!!! :)

Comment by Shelli — September 2, 2011 @ 2:09 PM

27. LOVELY post :) brought a big smile to my face, congratulations!! Gorgeous recipe too, ive never made these kind of cookies before and so will be sure to try it out :)

Comment by Sasha @ The Procrastobaker — September 2, 2011 @ 2:22 PM

28. congratulations delicious looking cookies to celebrate with

Comment by torviewtoronto — September 2, 2011 @ 3:53 PM

29. Congratulations! Wow, that’s a big dose of happy news!

Love the pink cookies…they just speak of all things girly!

Comment by Charissa — September 2, 2011 @ 4:03 PM

30. Wonderful frostings! I could have as much as I can of this sweet looking cookies.

Comment by Tres Delicious — September 2, 2011 @ 5:55 PM

31. Hooray for baby girls! Congrats to you, that’s so exciting. Many more adorable pink frosted cookies in your future! :-)

Comment by Kathy - Panini Happy — September 3, 2011 @ 10:29 AM

32. Amy, these were the perfect cookies to celebrate your exciting news! Your little one will have lots of fun in the kitchen with you someday! :)

Comment by Kimby — September 3, 2011 @ 10:29 PM

33. can’t wait to try these! i love the store-bought version, but i’m always too embarrassed to buy them :)

Comment by incrediblecrunchyflavor — September 4, 2011 @ 12:20 PM

34. EEK! Congratulations Amy! I guessed it was a girl at the beginning and I am so excited to be right! I can just imagine all the adorable outfits and photos to come. :-D

Comment by Jessica — September 5, 2011 @ 11:48 PM

35. These cookies look like the perfect way to celebrate the news of a girl! Congratulations!

Comment by Marie | yellowhousecook — September 6, 2011 @ 10:50 AM

36. SO excited for you, Joel, and your sweet baby girl! Love the cookies for the reveal. They are beautiful!

Comment by Annie — September 6, 2011 @ 8:56 PM

37. Congratulations!! ♥
    I made these sugar cookies just now, by the way. They melt in your mouth! Wahhh, thank you ! c:

Comment by Marmie — September 7, 2011 @ 12:24 AM

38. Woot, woot! for a GIRL!! Congratulations! I bet you’re going to have a blast buying a bunch of girly frilly clothes and toys! :)

Comment by Nikki (Pennies on a Platter) — September 9, 2011 @ 3:27 PM

39. I made these a couple of days ago and they have disappeared! They are so yummy – the best sugar cookies I’ve ever had. Thanks for a great recipe!

Comment by Shannon — September 21, 2011 @ 3:25 PM

40. [...] Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies (from Sing For Your Supper) [...]

Pingback by Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies | she cooks, he eats — October 20, 2011 @ 9:04 AM

41. I am a long time reader of your blog and had to leave a comment. First, congratulations on the on the little one!

Second, I made these cookies this week and took them to work. It turns out that was a mistake! They were such a hit that folks started requesting more almost immediately. “When are you making those cookies again?” “Are those homemade cookies? Those can’t be home made!” “Can you make those for the Halloween potluck next week?”

I have a feeling I will be making these cookies for quite some time to come. Which my husband thanks you for.

How sweet, thank you! I’m so happy these were such a big hit with your coworkers! I love taking baked goodies to work and seeing everybody’s faces light up! Sounds like you’re going to be doing lots of baking for them in the future! :)

Comment by Shelle — October 22, 2011 @ 7:30 PM

42. These look very great in the picture, so I gave it a try. They turned out really cakey and they hardened after ten minutes. Is there a reason to this and can I remedy it?

If they got hard after cooling, they were overbaked.

Comment by Lorraine — December 10, 2011 @ 9:59 PM

43. I made these today. My kids love them, and my husband was barely done before asking for more. I am putting them in an airtight container and in the freezer until Easter. I used green coloring, they look very “springy” ! :). Thanks!

Comment by Ryann — March 31, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

44. [...] Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies [...]

Pingback by (Not Your Average) Sandwich and a Cookie Lunch! | One Good Thing by Jillee — May 3, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

45. First of all, congratulations on the baby girl! :)
    Secondly, I was wondering if it would be okay to substitute water in lieu of the milk for the frosting. Would it significantly affect the texture?

Thank you! You can sub water, but don’t use as much or it will be too thin.

Comment by Vicky — May 20, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

46. These cookies Look Amazing! I Cannot Wait To Try Them! Thank You So Much For The Recipe & Congrats On Your Little Girl <3

Comment by Crystal — October 6, 2012 @ 11:00 PM

47. I made these, and they’re fantastic! I hate buying the store ones, while delicious, not wanting all of the unknown in them. These are really heavy on the butter, but for an occasional treat, who could resist? Thank you so much for sharing the recipe! These will remain in our Family for a very long while!

Very glad to hear it! :)

Comment by Tina — October 31, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

48. These did not turn out good at all. The cookies were far too squishy even though we baked them for more than 12 minutes. The frosting turned out awful as well. It was too watery and did not look pretty at all. I don’t think I messed up the ingredients so I don’t know what happened. Definitely not keeping this recipe.

That’s weird that they turned out perfectly for me and every other person who’s ever made them………. I call user error.

Comment by Anna — December 20, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

49. I’m making these for the second time today! Made a half-recipe of them for Valentine’s Day, and they were a big hit, so I’m making them again for Christmas!

Just wanted to make a note, though, that since the dough has to chill for an hour, the recipe shouldn’t start with preheating the oven. I’ve done this both times I’ve made these. Started preheating the oven, then realized I didn’t need to do that until after the dough was chilled.

Great recipe, though!!

Comment by Hannah — December 21, 2012 @ 11:17 AM

50. [...] Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies from Sing for Your Supper – These look just like those yummy cookies you’d get from a store, but better and so cute. [...]

Pingback by Alida’s Weekly Recap 8/28-9/3 — July 21, 2013 @ 11:40 AM

51. […] holiday cheer to a dreary day of studies last weekend, I whipped up a batch of sugar cookies using this recipe. Everytime I make these cookies, my friends lose their minds with excitement and enthusiasm, so it […]

Pingback by Season’s Eatings | Crown of Wild Flowers — November 29, 2013 @ 1:38 AM

52. hi i made these cookies and the dough was squishy what do you think i should do if this happens again leave them overnight?

Not sure what you mean by ‘squishy’, but it shouldn’t be a crumbly dough. It should be soft enough for you to roll into balls. Did you chill the dough at all?

Comment by Cassandra Moreno — December 27, 2013 @ 7:45 PM