I waited as long as I could. I really did. But when we got that blast of glorious fall weather this weekend, I decided I couldn’t wait any longer; it was time to bring in fall! I’ve gotten out all my fall decorations, made soup, homemade applesauce (recipe to come!) and baked this pumpkin pound cake. And lemme tell ya- I feel GREAT! Nothing like a cool breeze and the smell of pumpkin and cinnamon to lift a girl’s spirits! Sure, it’s supposed to get back into the 90′s next week but for now, it’s fall outside and I’m enjoying every second of it. My mom is responsible for me baking this cake- she thought a pumpkin pound cake sounded great and charged me with finding a great recipe to try. I did a little searching and came up with exactly what I was looking for! The cake is delicious- not too sweet, super moist, dense and full of warm spices. I loved it with my morning coffee- the perfect combination!

Pumpkin Pound Cake

1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup canola oil
3 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 package instant vanilla pudding mix
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting

In a large bowl, combine sugar and oil until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, cloves and pudding mix; add to egg mixture alternately with pumpkin, beating well after each addition.

Transfer to a greased bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 60-65 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack. Remove from pan and cool completely. Dust with confectioners’ sugar. Serves 12-16.

Recipe source: Adapted from Taste of Home

1. Oh yum! What appetizing pictures! Love it! And this cake stand, OMG too cute!

Comment by Marjorie — September 7, 2011 @ 4:14 PM

2. This looks heavenly, and I even have a cornucopia cake pan that I think I should use for this recipe. I am so ready for fall!

Me too, Madison!

Comment by Madison — September 7, 2011 @ 4:19 PM

3. bust out the pumpkin, its tiiiime for fall!! well, in my mind at least. we won’t have true fall weather for some time yet. :( at least i can make this and pretend :)

Same here, but I don’t really care! :) It’s fall in my mind and that’s all that matters! :)

Comment by jeannette — September 7, 2011 @ 4:27 PM

4. Two weeks ago, my grandma requested a spice cake for her birthday, so I cheated and make a very similar pumpkin spice bundt cake. It was so good, and made me crave fall even more! Your pictures are lovely!!

Comment by Chrissy — September 7, 2011 @ 4:40 PM

5. Oh my, does this look delicious. Great picture, Amy!

Comment by Kelsey — September 7, 2011 @ 4:54 PM

6. Great pics Amy! I’m not quite ready to get baking with pumpkin yet, but bookmarking this one for later in the month when I am :)

Comment by Tracey — September 7, 2011 @ 5:10 PM

7. Oh I need this now! I love all things pumkpin. This cake looks easy and delicious-just my style!

Comment by Hezzi-D — September 7, 2011 @ 5:34 PM

8. This sounds amazing Amy! And I love that first picture! So full of Fall :-D

Comment by Jessica — September 7, 2011 @ 6:16 PM

9. I am so ready for fall and this pound cake is the perfect way to bring it on!

Comment by The Food Hunter — September 7, 2011 @ 6:21 PM

10. This looks delicious! I’ve been collecting fall recipes for the past several weeks and can’t wait to try them.

Comment by Erin — September 7, 2011 @ 8:02 PM

11. This looks really tasty. I’ll try it out for sure :) and it’s a perfect fall recipe.

Comment by Kaja R. — September 8, 2011 @ 1:02 AM

12. I actually gasped when I saw that first picture in my Google Reader. It should be on the cover of a magazine! I’ve been thinking about your Vermont spice cake since last year, and after a trip to Texas, where I could buy maple extract, I can finally make it! :)

How sweet Erin, thank you! I hope you enjoy the Vermont Spice Cake- it’s a fall favorite around here!

Comment by Erin — September 8, 2011 @ 4:49 AM

13. Oh my this just look heavenly. My sister loves pumpkin cake and it is her birthday soon..yay. I am a novice when it comes to baking from scratch…so I was wondering, my mom has to cut back on oils…do you think it would alter the taste too much to substitute applesauce for some of the oil? I have never done that but read somewhere you could…If not I will make it for myself and not tell anyone:)
    Your pictures and recipes are just so wonderful Thank you for sharing!

You could absolutely do that! Let me know how it turns out- I hope everyone loves it!

Comment by Stephanie — September 8, 2011 @ 8:51 AM

14. YUM! I never thought I liked pumpkin because I always despised pumpkin pie, but discovered last fall that I absolutely love baking with it, who knew? I am really excited about the change of seasons, and have already busted out my slippers because the temperatures have dropped in my area. I love it!

Comment by Marie | yellowhousecook — September 8, 2011 @ 8:54 AM

15. I am totally ready for pumpkin and fall and I’ve been looking for a good pumpkin pound cake recipe, so I was really excited when I saw this. It’s gotten down to the 70s now in Nashville (hope it lasts), but last week even when it was 99 degrees, I was out buying pumpkin! :-)

Comment by Shannon — September 8, 2011 @ 9:09 AM

16. That’s a better idea what to do with our backyard pumpkins. Thanks for sharing.

Comment by Tres Delicious — September 8, 2011 @ 10:07 AM

17. I’ve been trying to hold out also but have been getting weaker with every pumpkin recipe I stumble across. This looks great and…I’m pretty sure it’s the straw that broke this pumpkin lover’s back.

Comment by Joanne — September 8, 2011 @ 11:40 AM

18. pretty sure I’m going to start my pumpkin baking this weekend! and I just might have to start with this! :)

Comment by natalie (the sweets life) — September 8, 2011 @ 4:12 PM

19. The cake looks perfect!

Comment by Maria — September 8, 2011 @ 5:48 PM

20. Amy, I’d make this cake in the middle of summer, it looks so good! :)

Comment by Kimby — September 9, 2011 @ 9:39 AM

21. The cake looks perfect to welcome fall! It’s still in the 90′s here, but this might be worth heating up the oven anyway this weekend. I just can’t wait any longer to have my pumpkin food! :)

Comment by Nikki (Pennies on a Platter) — September 9, 2011 @ 3:29 PM

22. This looks exactly like what I had in mind! I believe that since I was responsible for you baking this…well, you know where this is headed…I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN TO PARTAKE!!! Guess I’ll have to make my own!

Baking it is where all the fun is! It puts you in the fall spirit!

Comment by Mother — September 9, 2011 @ 4:42 PM

23. This recipe looks amazing! I’m going to print it right now so I can make it later this fall.

Comment by Rose — September 11, 2011 @ 4:35 PM

24. Pumpkin is seriously the only thing that takes the edge off of the oh-so-painful end of summer! This looks delicious, and your photography is beautiful. Glad to have stumbled across your blog as a fellow professional musician/foodie! Looking forward to seeing what else you have in store.

Comment by Maia — September 11, 2011 @ 4:35 PM

25. I made this yesterday. It was fantastic! I will definitely make it again…and again…and again…

Comment by Tara — September 12, 2011 @ 8:53 AM

26. Just stumbled across your blog and this pumpkin pound cske looks yummy! Your pictures are beautiful.
    I was wondering where you bought the white cake stand. I would love to get one just like it.
    Thanks.

Thanks so much, Peggy! I got the cakestand at Homegoods a couple of years ago. They always have a bunch of cute ones though!

Erin Reply:

When I first saw this post, I started looking for a similar cake stand. Only they don’t exist. Only ugly ones exist. I’ve wasted hours the last few days looking for a nice one. You’re so lucky to have found it! I’m so insanely jealous of your cake stand it’s ridiculous. But thanks for sharing your source of the amazing cake stand. :) (sorry for ranting!)

Sorry about that, Erin! It was a good 2 years ago I bought that one, though, so it’s unlikely they’d have anything like it now. Keep checking, though- you never know what will turn up!

Comment by Peggy — September 15, 2011 @ 9:28 AM

27. This pound cake is stunning. And you use my FAVORITE pumpkin. Dreamy :)

Thanks so much, Marla!

Comment by marla — September 16, 2011 @ 2:26 PM

28. Just made this, my whole house smells like nutmeg and pumpkins…im in love. Cant wait for it to cook completely through, it seems to be taking a bit longer than one hour. Thanks for sharing!

Comment by amanda — September 20, 2011 @ 7:34 AM

29. Like one of the previous posts suggested, I too have only recently discovered my love for pumpkin! I always thought I hated it and only liked the smells of pumpkin candles. Boy was I wrong! This is delicious and I added a maple glaze to it…so yummy and moist! Thanks!

Comment by Megan — September 24, 2011 @ 9:00 PM

30. Yum! Looks like the perfect fall pound cake. I’m making this later today to bring to my Bible study tomorrow!
    ~Heidi

Heidi Woodruff Reply:

I DID make this for my Ladies Bible Study. It is absolutely delicious! So easy to make, too! Thanks! I posted a picture of my cake on my blog today.
    ~Heidi

Comment by Heidi Woodruff — October 2, 2011 @ 10:41 AM

31. Question: 1 box of instant pudding mix…….small or large box? Thanks!

Comment by cheri — October 4, 2011 @ 8:02 PM

32. [...] Pumpkin Pound Cake which I overcooked slightly, but it was very good. [...]

Pingback by Fulfilling a Ubiquitous Need — October 4, 2011 @ 8:23 PM

33. Hi! :-) I was going to make this tonight but had one question! What size vanilla pudding box do you buy?? Thank you mam! :-) And I look forward to following your blog! :-)

The smaller size

Comment by Elizabeth Ann — October 5, 2011 @ 8:21 AM

34. I made this yesterday. It is a keeper! Great cake that is very moist. I am thinking of adding black walnuts the next time I make it.

Comment by kutina jordan — October 15, 2011 @ 5:57 AM

35. I have made this cake three times in the last two weeks and i think it tastes better each time I make it!

Comment by Danelle @ www.danellesdish.com — October 15, 2011 @ 1:59 PM

36. I made this dessert last night! It was FABULOUS!!!!!

Yay! I’m so happy you liked it!

Comment by Jamie — October 17, 2011 @ 7:48 AM

37. [...] Pumpkin Pound Cake from Sing for your Supper [...]

Pingback by pound cake recipe round-up — October 25, 2011 @ 9:13 AM

38. Great Cake! I loved it! I did not however read the recipe very thoroughly and after I had already started I realized that I did not have a vanilla pudding mix so I subbed an extra egg yolk (for emulsification) and 2/3 cup powdered sugar and some vanilla extract and it worked perfectly! I also added fresh ground nutmeg. It was SO good!

Comment by Brandie — November 30, 2011 @ 7:21 PM

39. Ohmy, this looks delicious. I need to try this one.

Comment by Björg — December 7, 2011 @ 12:57 PM

40. I don’t know about y’all, but I couldn’t care in the slightest what time of year it is; I bake with pumpkin all the time! I’m gonna make pumpkin pancakes tomorrow and save the other half of the large can of pumpkin for making this cake. It’s such a healthy addition to sugary treats. My kids need all the nutrition I can hide in food!

Sara Reply:

p.s. I posted this comment in March, in case you didn’t notice.

Comment by Sara — March 11, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

41. North Korea Launches Missile, US Official Says

Comment by jordan 6 retro — April 12, 2012 @ 10:51 PM

42. [...] Pumpkin Pound Cake from Sing for Your Supper [...]

Pingback by 13 Pumpkin Dessert Recipes — September 17, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

43. Making right now…my kitchen smells amazing! Can’t wait to taste it! Thank you!

Comment by Jackie — October 5, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

44. [...] finally got around to making this pumpkin pound cake yesterday, and when it was done, I thought it deserved much more than just a regular dusting of [...]

Pingback by Pumpkin Pound cake with Pumpkin Buttercream frosting! — October 9, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

45. I was VERY skeptical about making this simply because there are many comments, but hardly anyone who responded to making it. Everyone said “Looks great!” But how does it really taste? Though I was nervous I made it anyway. Turned out fine. Definitely not the “best” pumpkin pound cake I’ve ever had or made myself. If anyone is thinking about using this recipe it’s ok if you need to find a recipe quick, but definitely not one I will continue to use. Still on the hunt for a PERFECT pumpkin bread/ pound cake Thanks anyway.

Comment by Brooke — September 25, 2014 @ 12:43 PM

46. […] Modified from Pumpkin Pound Cake at Sing for Your Supper. […]

Pingback by Bready or Not: Pumpkin and Pudding Mix Pound Cake | BethCato.com — November 12, 2014 @ 7:02 AM