Let me start off by stating a few things: 1.) Happy New Year! 2.) Those of you who have resolved to eat healthier, lose weight, etc, just click away now, because this recipe is neither healthy nor diet-friendly. In fact, it’s pretty much just butter and cream cheese. And sugar. :) 3.) There’s really nothing about this recipe that makes it a “cheesecake” in any way, except maybe the abundance of cream cheese (in fact, it’s more along the lines of a cheese danish), but that’s what the recipe is called, so for propriety’s sake, I’ll continue calling it “sopapilla cheesecake”.

A few weeks ago, at our friends’ Christmas party, the hostess pulled something freshly baked out of the oven. The sweet, cinnamony smell immediately caught my attention and I was first in line to try a plateful. At first glance, it looked like some sort of cobbler covered in cinnamon-sugar, but with one bite I knew what I was eating- the sopapilla cheesecake I had seen plastered all over pinterest. Crescent rolls, cream cheese, butter, sugar. That’s it. And I have to admit, it was stinking delicious. My big pregnant self ate two helpings. Then I immediately came home and made one of my own for my parents to try. Embarrassingly easy, shamefully fattening and ridiculously yummy. A pregnant woman’s dream dessert.

Sopapilla Cheesecake

2 cans Pillsbury crescent rolls
2-8oz blocks cream cheese, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
6 tablespoons butter, melted

Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray. Unroll and press 1 can crescent rolls into the bottom of the baking dish press the seams together.

In a separate bowl blend the cream cheese, 1 cup sugar and vanilla; spread evenly over top of dough. Unroll the second can of crescent rolls and place on top of the cream cheese mixture pressing seams together again. Pour the melted butter over top layer of crescents.

Mix the reaming 1/2 cup of sugar and cinnamon together. Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture generously over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until bubbly and browned. Allow to cool before serving (personally, I like it better warm, so I let mine cool for only 15 or 20 minutes before serving). Serves 8.

Recipe source: barely adapted from Real Mom Kitchen, via Mommy’s Kitchen

1. Oo, aren’t these ridiculously good?! I remember when I first made them and I had to steer myself away from eating the whole pan. I made mine with the Big & Flakey rolls and I HIGHLY recommend it. I included the link to my post if you wanted to check it out!

Comment by Jess Wakasugi {Life's Simple Measures} — January 3, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

2. This stuff should be a felony!! ;-) I made three of them one weekend, (baby shower, bridal shower, Mary Kay party) and I’m pretty sure I gained ten pounds in two days, ha!!

Comment by Amy B — January 3, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

3. Happy new year! :) This looks totally amazing! Pshhh who needs to eat healthier for the new year, I’d rather eat deliciously and be happy! :D haha

Amen to that!! :)

Comment by Ryan — January 3, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

4. Just what I needed: another excuse to make cheesecake! Oh well, I can always run another mile or twelve on the treadmill ;)

Comment by Angie (Sweet Natured Treats) — January 3, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

5. Wow, these look insanely delicious. Does the cream cheese filling taste heavy, though? (Does that make sense?)

Honestly, to me it really doesn’t. I wouldn’t advise eating two humongous pieces in one sitting or anything, but no, I don’t think it’s too heavy. Just right! ;)

Comment by Olivia — January 3, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

6. This stuff is sinful! The combination of crescent rolls and cream cheese does something in my mouth and I can’t stop eating it! The recipe I have calls for 1 egg in the cream cheese and I haven’t tried it with cinnamon. I also substiture almond extract for vanilla, which I love. I will try it your way because I love cinnamon.

Oh definitely try it with the cinnamon! That’s the best part, in my opinion! I would like to try almond extract too!

Comment by Sheila — January 3, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

7. Eek! This sounds so good! I’ve seen it floating around Pinterest before and yours looks A-MAZING!

Comment by Jessica @Sunny Side Up — January 3, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

8. Yummo!! I can’t wait to try this one!!

Comment by Sheila — January 3, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

9. This sounds delicious and so easy! I love cinnamon.

Comment by Rose — January 3, 2012 @ 6:06 PM

10. This looks unbelievably good. I am making this first thing in the morning :)

Comment by Adriana — January 3, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

11. I don’t think anyone can resist this treat! It is simply delicious…and I am just looking at it. It would take more self control if I see this really in front of me…so for those who resolved it will be diet! diet! this 2012…it is time to amend the resolution ;)
    Happy New Year! I resolved to eat more and run much more!!!
    Thanks for sharing!

Comment by Anna — January 3, 2012 @ 11:38 PM

12. Oh man… I should have clicked away when you told me to.. Its too late ’cause now, I’m dying to bake one and eat the whole thing…

Comment by Jesica @ Pencil Kitchen — January 4, 2012 @ 5:50 AM

13. I bet it would be even better to use cinnamon rolls over regular ones ^_^ *drool*

Great idea! If you try it, let me know!!

Comment by Kitten — January 4, 2012 @ 6:58 AM

14. Oh my pregnant belly is loving all of this Amy!! I just added half the ingredients to my grocery list thinking I’ll make half the recipe, and scratched it off two seconds later to make the full recipe!!! Buahahaha, I can’t wait. I’m seriously drooling thinking about this delicious-ness!!! ::mouth watering, head pounding on desk!!::

Comment by Krystal @ {Mrs. Regueiro's Plate} — January 4, 2012 @ 1:22 PM

15. yes please!

Comment by The Food Hunter — January 4, 2012 @ 3:56 PM

16. Try it with a drizzle of honey on top.

Erin Reply:

Yes!!! When you pull it out of the oven, drizzle about 1/4 cup of honey over it. It really makes the dish. Also, Ionce made it with my homemade apple/pear, orange infused sauce and put that over the first layer of bread and then cream cheese and then more bread then the butter sugar cin. topping. It’s also good with blue berries and orange zest.

Comment by Crystal — January 5, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

17. my sister-in-law doesn’t cook much, but she whipped this out at our latest get-together and i have a new-found appreciation for her kitchen prowess! :)

Comment by grace — January 6, 2012 @ 3:33 AM

18. I have been making these for years and everyone who eats them loves them. It’s my big brother’s favorite & he requests it often, and when i take it to him, he hides it from his family so he doesn’t have to share! Others I’ve shared the recipe with have added chocolate chips or toffee chips to the cream cheese filling and have really liked that. I’ve not done that myself, though. This is a quick and fun recipe.

Comment by Paula Ramsay — January 6, 2012 @ 4:59 PM

19. I’ve made these twice now, since having read this entry. First off, how easy is this?? It makes my house smell amazing and all the kids and teenagers end up hovered around the stove waiting for the timer to go off.

I love that it’s cheap and fast and most of the ingredients I have on hand. Can’t wait to bring this to a family function, thanks for the share!!

Comment by Erin L — January 10, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

20. A friend of mine at work made this and brought it in. Using the phrase my boss used when she tried it, “there is something heavenly awesome in the food cube”. I immediately went over there and boy, she was right! It IS heavenly awesome! Can’t wait to make this myself!

Comment by Laura — January 18, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

21. I’ve been making a similar version of this for years but with only 1 cup sugar and 1 egg (yolk) mixed with the cream cheese and vanilla and the egg white rubbed over the top layer of crescent roll. Then just sprinkle with sugar and cinammon. NO BUTTER. Mine would be the “low cal” version I guess! lol It’s still fabulous and everyone loves it.

Comment by Robin — February 2, 2012 @ 4:24 PM

22. Hi I am so excited to try this recipe but wonder if it will still taste okay if i make it the night before to bring into work??? This means it will be slightly chilled.. not sure if that will affect the texture too much!

Sure! Some people prefer it at room temp vs. warm anyway. Hope you enjoy!

Rebecca Reply:

Hi Amy – thanks for the fast response. Don’t kill me… but I just have another question. If i were to refrigerate it over night, would it still be as flaky as yours looks in that beautiful picture?? if not, im tempted to wake up super early and bake it before work! haha

You’re welcome! It won’t be quite as flaky the next day. You could definitely assemble it the night before and bake it the next morning, though. That might be a good solution.

Erin Reply:

Hi Amy,

I am wondering the same thing. I want to just assemble the night before and then pull it out of the fridge in the morning and let it come to room temp and then cook it at my in-laws house so it is warm and bubbly for serving. What do you think? Would it be as good?

You can totally do that!

Comment by Rebecca — February 14, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

23. I just don’t want the bread to dry out.

Comment by Erin — July 3, 2013 @ 1:09 PM